No announcement yet.

Fat Quarter Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though there was no piecing or quilting involved, I still learnt a couple of things.. how about you?

I was surprised at how difficult it was to pick fabric for someone else. I thought it would be easy, just go with list in hand and pick. Nope, I kept leaning toward fabric that I wanted, which isn't always a bad thing, but more times than not, it was colors my partner didn't need. I found that I was also hell bent on matching everything. I had to keep reminding myself that I am not building a quilt for my partner. What I was doing was, hopefully, sending some fun surprises. I learnt that I can be very indecisive, I am now the proud owner of 3 extra fat quarters because I couldn't commit to sending those ones away, would they pass or was that little touch of (insert color here ) be to much, or an unwanted color? I also learnt that approximately 18x22 on the label really should read, some days, or sorta all most close to.

But it has been fun and I am always up for a learning experience, will for sure do this again. Heck, if we do this often enough I won't have to shop, I will have a stock pile of fat quarters I decided not to send, something will have to work eventually.

Kathy

I'm all for doing it again!
    Nancy

Comment

Kat,
      I, too, have difficulty choosing for someone else! I went mostly with fabrics that read as solids, safer that way
      I also get crazy making things for a gift in a color scheme that is not in my comfort zone. I'm making a wallet for my niece in light purple/lavender and teal... I'm still not sure if the color combo is right, because I don't like them together!! My sister told me that those are her favorite colors so I'm going with it!

Comment

Kat,
        You could call the LQS, tell them what you need, and then go pick it up. But, where is the fun in that? Just a thought if you're pressed for time.
        Beck

Comment

Songbird857, I think those colors sound great together, but then that was the colors in the main fabric I used in the spring table runner swap. I'm sure she will love it.

Beck, no, no, my fq's are on their way, and I loved all the trips to the fabric store and going through my stash, man, the things I found. I even quite enjoyed the things I learnt about myself. I was just surprised at what hard work it was to pick fabric for someone you don't know, and at my age feeling the need to please. I guess some times we still are in Jr. High, if you know what I mean. HAHAH

Comment

I had that same difficulty. I kept tending towards the things I like but tried to make sure it was what my partner had indicated she liked. I must admit that I did have it easy though because she said I love all fabric so that was all it took for me to make those final decisions.
            Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

I know what you mean! I also have trouble picking out fabric, but mine is more self control. I want it all! Just imagine if we could walk into a LQS and say "1 yard of each!".

Kathy, I also have to remind myself I'm not building a quilt for them. Just helping to build a stash.
              One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Comment

CraftHer ,
                Every quilters fantasy, wish or dream!
                Beck

Comment

I smiled when I read these posts! I also hoped that I picked something that would be appropriate. I was with a quilting friend and she was teasing me about how stressed I was about making my choices. I also ended up keeping a couple that I loved and using some from my stash instead! I guess quilters are also people who want to please others!

Comment

I had fun shopping too, selecting a bunch of fat quarters, then trying to include something particularly Aussie. When I found the tea towel calendar, knew that would be just the ticket, so selected a couple of fun fabrics and a red because my partner said she liked red. (there were pitifully few reds for me to select from) I hope my partner likes her fabric. I'll post a pic of mine when it arrives.

Comment

I also had problems picking fabric for someone else! My biggest problem was the store I went to had fat quarters galore! I kept walking around and changing my selection. I probably left a mess!
                      Oh well, I'm probably not the only one! I would not buy yardage there......although beautiful, at $14. a yard.....not! Did find some Halloween fabric in the clearance section! Had to find something for me. I have no idea what I will make with it but I had to find something for me! Lol
                      :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

Fat Quarter Swap

About this Group

Spring Fat Quarter Swap
                      Everyone is welcome!
                      Type: Public
                      Topics: 24
                      Comments: 363

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse