Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures are up with descriptions - THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE

Hi everyone

I am not good at doing tutorials and even worse at photography. I just uploaded some images to show how I do these circles.

Along with the pictures, I put some info about how to go about making the circles. it is really self explanatory.

Get 4 - 5 inch squares. Sew them into a 4 patch. Cut those into a 8 inch circle. Applique that onto a 12.5 square of fabric using a zig zag stitch. This will be a raw applique, but if you use a small enough stitch, and use pinking shears, they wash up extremely well.

Now for those who have already pm'ed me that they don't have time to do this, I do understand. Really, I do. Our time gets so fragmented. However, some have already pm'ed me that they want to help with this. Here is how you can help.

You can send your scraps, charms, strips - whatever you can afford to send (I know how expensive postage is). You can mail it to me at:

Blondie Spence
    341 Fisher Hill Road
    Eden, NC 27288

Things to take into consideration. Background fabric. I try to use blender type of fabrics that will go with all my various scraps. Neutrals work really well. A lap quilt for an adult takes 12 squares. It makes them a wee bit longer than it is wider. Works out really well. So, for a nice presentation, try to have enough to make or send 12 of the 12.5 squares.

I hand quilt these using Perl 8 cotton thread. If you have any of that you no longer use, I could really use some extra.

Now I enjoy hand quilting these because it gives me time in the evening to chill and besides that, I like to think that every stitch is a prayer. I don't think anyone is offended by prayers offered for healing, comfort and hugs. Think of those who receive a prayer shawl. These lap quilties are like that in my opinion. They can be used. I trace circles all over the top using cool whip lids, coffee lids, whatever and stitch them together. It is so easy and goes quickly.

None of the quilts I have made to give are perfect. Truly, I am so imperfect. The recipients never see that. They feel the power of love that has been expressed through the time it takes to make one. Please don't think that what you do has to be perfect. That you even take the time to read this and send something means more than anything.

I wash the quilts before I give them out.

Almost every week, month, we read of those on this group who have suffered sickness, loss, and need a touch, a thought, a hug. With enough of us sharing our resources, we could have a cupboard of quilts ready to go in no time.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

AMEN!!! We are behind you, beside you, with you, and pulling you along!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Of course I will do this. I have not done much appliqueing so if you would prefer I just make the blocks (4 patch or strips) would love to do that, however I will give it my best shot to try the applique. Will also send some batting and thread. Just let me know what kind of batting you want. Might have to wait til after my craft fair though, so it may be a month before I can get anything done. You truly are an angel on earth. Sending big hugs to you.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

Blondie, how so very thoughtful of you to initiate this. There is so much joy in sharing our talents, all of differing degrees. I haven't been quilting long, but have received so much satisfaction every time I've participated in a 'quiltalong' that we've done on this forum. I would be honored to be part of this and have just printed out your post of specifics to get started ASAP. You are a treasure, our quilty friend, the love you have in your heart is immeasurable.
        Cynthia

Comment

I am definitely in.....will bleached high quality muslin work for the back ground....I can applique by machine and have done circles...just sew slowly.....or I can send you fabric....whichever you prefer....I can do either.....hugs to you for doing this!

Comment

This sounds fantastic!! Just went through a very ugly trial as a juror and am so ready to see beauty, kindness and love - count me in!! Linda

Comment

Susie, muslin would work out perfectly. You go girl!

Linda, coming into the forum is always a place of peaceful beauty to me.
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Am going to try this block this afternoon...will let you know how it goes.....

Comment

I made the block using my machine for the entire block...here's how I did it....I don't own a circle cut ruler so I took a plate that measured 8 1/2 in diameter...traced it out of my scrappy four patch.....sewed it to used dryer sheets using 1/4 in seam.....snip the edges...cut a hole in the dryer sheets, and turned right side out..pressed it well and sewed onto my base fabric using my machines blanket stitch or something like it....sewed slowly and I think it turned out all right.....when I have 12 made I will ship to Blondie....it is an easy way to make this block and it turns out really cute!

Comment

Blondie, they are addictive like potato chips, I now have three of them made.....will try to make a couple more and send them to you; please let me know what you think of them...if I need to do anything to correct them.

Comment

Susie, that is wonderful! I have done the "whole quilt" concept before when I've had enough fabric. Love the dryer sheet tip.

And now folksies, here's another tip that came to me from another forum member:
                      Hi,
                      I am not in your group, but have made several circle quilts using coffee filters.
                      They come in two sizes, choose one and iron it flat. Place on wrong side of your fabric and sew 1/4" around on the filter. Cut out ( I found it did not work to cut before sewing). Slit the filter and turn, press to get a sharp edge and trim the filter near the edge, but leave enough to hold the shape. Just zigzag to the background.
                      Hope this tip is good for you.

Thank you Daytonalady. That's a good one for y'all who really don't like raw edge applique.
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Same concept as mine except that I use (used) dryer sheets instead of coffee filters....but coffee filters are already circles so that may make it easier....going to give it a try.....I love this forum!

Comment

Blondie,
                          I will help all I can. Like many I have many Christmas projects going, but I will send some blocks soon. I love that this is a ongoing thing.
                          Keep the Faith

dizzyLiz

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1196342

Comment

Blondie,

I willl do what I can when I can....this is going to be an ongoing project, right? Do you need sewing thread? How about serger thread - are you able to use that? I have some Perle cotton and will send it...also some strips. Can you use a poly bat? I also have some rotary blades from harbor Freight...so these work for you? I guess that's enough questions! Sorry if I should have pm'd all this...Hugs
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hi Blondie and all the other wonderful ladies in this group!

I'm in also, and I have a couple of questions....... I can make some blocks, I think it is great to have comfort quilts around to hand out, so I will give it a try.

The background fabric: is it okay to use different or do you want it all 1 color? I have tone on tone, I have white, no matter what, but I want to make the blocks the way you have in mind! There will be different backgrounds in the whole quilt that way, wich is fine but just to be sure.....

Is it okay if I make lets say, two of the same blocks, and a couple of other colors also the same? Or do you want all different blocks? I have almost done two to try it, looks good, but they are the same fabric, I have about 7 others cut and almost done, all the same.......is that a problem?
                              If yes I will use them for another project that I will come up with, if no problem I will send them to you!
                              Do I make any sence............

Great idea to start this group!!!!!!!!
                              It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive!

www.memoryquiltsbyklasien.nl

Comment

Comfort Quilts

About this Group

A Circle of Comfort has been nicknamed COC - these are quilts made and sent to those who need a quilty hug and reminder that they are thought of, necessary, prayed for and loved
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 109
                              Comments: 644

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X