Butterfly Blocks for Gerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

This is such a terrific idea and I'm glad to participate. I am going to use some fat quarters that coordinate really well together. I've been looking for a project that I could use them for. I've been working on an applique BOM so I have not been doing much piecing lately, and I really miss it! So I am going to put together the top and see how it goes. I'll post some pics later today.

Thanks for joining. The more, the merrier. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
    sigpic

Comment

I have questions as I have a tendency to way over think things. I'm adding the 2 1/2 inch strip to each side of the wings. You mentioned it would help you if I added the top sashing which would not be a long strip but just the length of the top of the butterfly. I could add the cornerstone to match that butterfly but I'm thinking it would bring the quilt more together if you use the border fabric. So add the top strip only, add the top strip with cornerstone, or don't add at all. 2nd question: Do you want me to cut up what's left of my strip set into 2 1/2 inch sets for the inner boarder? And FYI I have a lot of butterflies so I'm not sure how you want to mix them up. They are all different colors made from my stash. Hope I'm not making this harder then it is. If it's easier just to make the main butterfly body I can do that. Jut had another thought, would it be better to not add the shashing strips on the sides and top because your white won't match my white and it really doesn't matter for the middle of the butterfly. Told you I over think everything.

Comment

Georgie Girl, my best suggestion to you, is to do it however you want. Everything you mentioned sounds great to me. For me, as long as they are butterflies, that is all that matters. I even have a few people making different blocks out of butterfly fabric, and have one being sent to me that is an irish chain with embroidered butterflies. The fact that there are so many, loving, and caring people doing this, makes my heart swell with love and pride, at being a part of this amazing forum.

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Hi Marilyn, I just found this. Bubby had mentioned it on one of the threads. I'll be happy to help make blocks or sash or quilt. Will you be bringing them to the retreat? I don't have any specific projects in mind yet for the retreat so just let me know what you need me to do. Thanks for doing this!
          Cindy

Comment

ok good because I think I got carried away with combining and sewing strips together. It was so much fun I made enough for 4 quilts so now I'm hoping to have enough white to just finish the butterfly after all of those questions.

Comment

Cindy, bringing some to the retreat to get help with them is a great idea. I may just do that, and see what kind of help I can enlist there too. I am going to need help with batting and backing fabric as well, if anyone would like to donate some of that as well.

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

Butterfly Blocks for Gerry

About this Group

This group is to make butterfly blocks that we will then make into quilts to donate to Evelyn's house. The hospice house that took amazing care of my BIL Gerry during his final transition. The theme of the home was butterflies. We will be making them per Jenny's butterfly block tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-jwUpBKZgs Thank you for your help with our pay it forward project.
              Type: Public
              Topics: 13
              Comments: 56

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X