Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clue 6

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2018...ry-part-6.html

I am scratching my head on this one. I guess I will wait like she said.
    In my mind , you will have the core of the block surounded by orange strings followed by black strings? With corner stones of the 2 1/2 inch hsts?
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

I don't even know, lol.

String piecing on paper just doesn't go well for me. It gets all puckery and doesn't look good at all. I don't know if it's the paper- I'm using newsprint- or the pressure setting or what, but I'm just not satisfied with my results. I guess I'll go to the dollar store today and get a doodle pad and try that. It's odd because I was able to do paper piecing for one of the Secret Santa themes and it was fine, but I used printer paper. I suppose I should try that?

Comment

Are you using steam in your iron? You shouldn't. I find printer paper dulls the needle faster and is harder to tear. I was able to find old phonebooks and Bonnie is right, they are the best material for foundation. I haven't started this clue though. I need to know if all that string piecing will belong to the actual blocks or to the border.
      I think we are close to the reveal, as we already have more than the square inches needed for a 72"x72" top. For the last 5 mysteries she posted the reveal on New Year. If not, I am screwed, as I will have guests from January 3rd through 6th and I need to sacrifice my sewing room as guest bedroom.

Comment

I did the strip piecing, eight 1 1/2" strips sewn together. The neutrals I ended up having pretty much grey, with some light tans thrown in, should be interesting to see how this comes out. I have no idea, so far I have red, orange, blue , green and light gray with some light tans in there. I know it is supposed to be scrappy, hope they all play well with each other. I have not kept up to date on how much all this will cover, this is my first mystery quilt ever. At least I am using up my strip stash, so that is good. I am waiting for the reveal, I have no idea when it will be coming. Bonnie is headed out of town in a little over a week, so it should be close to giving us an idea.. For those that have done the mystery quilt before, does she show how to finish the quilt, or are the borders left up to personal taste?
        Thanks

Comment

What usually happens, she posts just like she has done every week. In the very last post, the quilt is revealed. At that moment you can decide how to proceed with what will work for you. I have seen chisel blocks skipped and traded in for reg sashing between the blocks. I have seen things changed up, and they are all beautiful. During a couple mysteries ago, we had three days in a row of rapid fire, where each day was a new sub block for the quilt, to get to the reveal on new years day. This year she spoke of going past the first of jan, but like Lourixe said we are almost there. We shall see!
          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

The reveal consists in completing the blocks, laying them out (eventually with sashing units in between) and add the borders. This is the part I like the less, because most times there are pieced borders or setting triangles as the blocks may be laid out on point. For the life of me I haven't been able yet to make a pieced border which isn't wavy. In several previous mysteries I ended up making one solid border instead and recycling the units that were intended for the border, in another project. My project, my rules! And I have already selected the print I want to use for borders.

Comment

Well, I got them all done, but it was still frustrating. I think my pressure setting is too high or low (I have no idea which - my old machine did it automatically, lol) the while shebang kept pulling to one side so I had to go very slowly.

I sure hope we're done with neutrals because I've only got a few strips left!

Comment

Good Fortune Mystery Quilt 2019 ~ Bonnie Hunter Style

About this Group

Colors for this have been announced. Visit quiltville.blogspot.com for complete instructions under the good fortune tab. Sewing instructions / first clue will be released on Black Friday. Optimallysew at your own pace. Each week clues are announced on each friday. Post photos of color schemes and blocks. See glimpses of what others are accomplishing world wide. Anyone can join.
              Type: Public
              Topics: 12
              Comments: 69

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X