Good Fortune Mystery Quilt 2019 ~ Bonnie Hunter Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome quilters?

Any questions? Just ask. I have participated in this for the last couple of years. It is very exciting and something different to look forward to over the holidays. I am certain there will be people joining that have done this for many years. She has recommended two tools, the simple corners mini ruler and the esential triangle tool. If you do not have these there are different ways to acheive block perfection with other tools. Have fun with it. In years past we have made up to 200 blocks a week. You do not have to sew all the blocks for the week, you do it at your speed. Enjoy!

In the meantime, verify your 1/4 inch seam allowance is accurate since angles are involved. I look forward to photos and your progress!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Thanks for stepping in!
    I discovered Bonnie Hunter thanks to this forum and I had a lot of fun sewing along for the last 5 mysteries.

Comment

Hi; I found Bonnie Hunters site through this forum, and have been following her for quite a few months. I have gotten pretty good at her scrap system, and HOPE to use some of the scraps I have acquired. I am not sure the best way to get all the fabric measurements she has given in the colors, maybe some fat quarters? I do not have some of the colors in various shades she has chosen, but I guess I will figure it out. I just bought the folding ruler, but big size, could not find the mini. I have the essential triangle ruler, so hopefully should be ready to go. If someone has a idea on the best way to get the various shades in the colors she is giving, I would appreciate any feedback. I am just thinking finding some fat quarters or something. Looking forward to the challenge.

Comment

I was hesitant until I saw the inspiration & her color palette. This will be perfect for my new color scheme (yay, divorce redecorating, lol)

I'm not too keen on the blues though. I'm wondering what I could substitute?

Comment

Whippetmom, FQd would be perfect. But also random strips, (leftovers from jellyrolls) or any scrap withing the color range. It is variety which makes Bonnie quilts so interesting.

Last year I completely shifted the color combo and I was very pleased with the result. I am considering doing the same this year.

Comment

Hi All! This time of year is not conducive to making a quilt for me, but I still want to join in and see what you all are doing, and be inspired for after the New Years. I am thinking that I may switch the oranges out for golds and use Christmas fabrics - of which I have an overabundance!
            Donna

Comment

Whippetmom, check your local quilt shops and see if they sell scrap bags. I find wonderful small pieces that really enhance my scrap saver's system!~ Some shops sell them pre bagged, while others let you dig through a bin and stuff your own. If you have one that does then you can concentrate on the colors you need. Also, consider 1/4 or 1/3 yard cuts as they are often less expensive than fat quarters and you are going to be cutting them in strips anyway. Not all quilt shops will cut 1/3 yd but stores such as Joann's or Hobby Lobby will. And don't forget about fat eighths and remnants that many quilt shops/fabric stores carry. All these will help you build more variety into your quilt.
              Donna

Comment

Thanks for the tips, there is a quilt shop not too far away, will check them for scraps or even their sale aisle. Between embroidering projects for Christmas and getting quilts done, I am looking forward to this, I like to keep busy this time of season with all the rotten weather and no real outside time. I also have so much left over Christmas fabric, I am sure I have some colors in that portion of my stash, neve even thought of that idea.

Comment

I have read Bonnie’s blog everyday for the past couple of years, and the question arises how much fabric should be purchased when making a scappy quilt? Her answer is not a fat quarter because the price is inflated compared to purchasing by the yard. She recommends the perfect size to purchase yardage in is 1/3 of a yard. A third you can cut srips the length of fabric and make more scrappy using that cut.
                  I recommend not cutting any fabric until the first clue is released on black friday.
                  Substitution of colors....Lourixe did a quilt last year that was so beautiful! If I am not mistaken, bonnie and holly anne knight will be having a quilt cam that bonnie will help you decide on a different color. I read her blog everyday and I or someone will link that video here.
                  Last year I raided all my precuts for color selection which made it nice and scrappy. At first it bothered my to do this, but now I realize the fabric is just sitting there, not being used. I know one year we made oodles of neutral 4 patches. Some did not do this and just cut the finished block size from one yardage piece. Not as scrappy, more themed but still turned out great.
                  When we start stitching we dream of the pattern we will be making, and voice that opinion here as well.
                  With so much neutrals and orange with a tad of other colors I am hoping for a pineapple block, which would be doable with the rulers called out. Your thoughts?
                  Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

Comment

I'm in! I'm getting a new Longarm and will need the practice. I didn't do last years mystery and missed the excitement tho I did follow along. I'm going to try to pull from my stash tho I did see someone post on Facebook some pretty Civil War material but I don't have any of those and since I just purchased the Longarm, I'm sure hubby would appreciate me using stash. Off to the attic this weekend to look for my colors!
                    sigpic
                    Sandie Rosenthal

in Louisburg, NC
                    [email protected]

Comment

HI;
                      Read Bonnie Hunter's blog today, she mentioned that she would be going over the spinning technique in her clues and posts for the mystery quilt, I think it will have something to do with 9 patches maybe. I am still trying to come up with enough orange fabric, not my fabric color, so buying small amounts in numerous fabrics. Neutrals I have quite a few of and blues , greens and reds I am fine with. This will be fun, never have done a mystery quilt, but usually love her quilt patterns. I wonder if I should stick with very small prints and maybe some solids in different hues? Any thoughts? Orange color calls for 3 2/3 yards, quite a bit.
                      DreamsSewn I envy your purchasing a Longarm, sounds like you will have lots of fun in the future.

Comment

I am very low on greens and I can't seem to find any suitable jade green locally. But I found a gorgeous orange floral on grey background that I want to use as border, so my colors for the mystery are going to be orange, grey, black and red.

Comment

That will be beautiful!

Comment

I am going cheddar instead of orange and kinda thinking of going black instead or neutrals. A yellow...and skyish blues, and neutral thrown in as a color sub. I will probably wait until the reveal to ensure this will work. My logic is, very small amount of yardage in color except orange. My guess is this quilt will be much neutral with a bit of color and an orange border.

Comment

I thought I'd try to go thru my scraps to see how much I actually have that are in the colors. Would it make sense to pull charms, jelly roll strips, and/or smaller squares?

Comment

Good Fortune Mystery Quilt 2019 ~ Bonnie Hunter Style

About this Group

Colors for this have been announced. Visit quiltville.blogspot.com for complete instructions under the good fortune tab. Sewing instructions / first clue will be released on Black Friday. Optimallysew at your own pace. Each week clues are announced on each friday. Post photos of color schemes and blocks. See glimpses of what others are accomplishing world wide. Anyone can join.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 12
                              Comments: 69

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X