Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long / January 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 5 - Butter Churn Block - January 30

This will be our last block of the month! Can you believe we are at least five blocks into our quilt? Are you liking the blocks? I prefer small pieced blocks over larger blocks. I'm not sure why because they tend to be a little tedious and have less room for error. Maybe I'm just attracted to the challenge.

I used my Tucker Trimmer ruler to make my HST for this block and my Wing Clipper ruler for the FG. They are two of my favorite tools.

The blocks and weeks have been flying by. I like the 12 inch blocks for the same reason you do. Room for error but I like the 6 inch blocks because I can use up scraps.

Comment

Thank you Kayla for hosting this sew along. Sharing our blocks, tips and challenges is so much fun.

Yes - the time has flown. The 6 inch are so challenging as a beginning quilter. A few blocks had to be made a 2nd time. Sometimes the colors were awful or my sewing skill. Or both! I was apprehensive about the smaller size block, but it's been more fun than frustrating.

I like to make throw-size or twin size quits and its seemed like the smaller block might work better for that size too.

What size quilts do others like to make? Basting, machine quilting and binding large quilts feels intimidating to me (and like wrestling). I find I don't procrastinate finishing smaller quilts and my larger finished tops sit on the UFO pile too long.
      -Leslie

Comment

Horse Heaven, you are very welcome. I'm enjoying it too. My preference is to make large lap size or bigger. I do not quilt my own projects because I don't have much luck with that process. When I first started quilting, I struggled with the whole basting and quilting steps so it really turned me off to that part of the process. My favorite parts are the cutting and machine piecing. I hate to admit, but I have about six quilts that just need binding. I plan to get to that soon.

I love looking at everyone's pictures. It's the first thing I try to do every morning.

Kayla

Comment

I have only made flying geese once this way, way at the beginning last year when I first started and they were bigger blocks. I had some problem then. But now, I do not like this way, very hard for me to get the point right. I had to throw them away and go back to the usual way I do it. I realize it's suppose to save fabric but quite obviously to me I need to be a better sewer before I try that way again. Though I struggle even this other way getting points to line up, I at least can squint one eye and say that looks good enough.

Comment

Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long / January 2017

About this Group

This group will be our meeting place for a sew-a-long for Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book. We can use this meeting place to share our blocks, ask questions, seek help, and encourage each other.

I'm excited to get started with these blocks and hope to meet others interested in the same.

Now is the time to get your book and fabrics together for a January 2017 kick off!
          Type: Public
          Topics: 45
          Comments: 167

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X