Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long / January 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choose Your Fabrics

I've pulled my fabrics in preparation for the sew-a-long. It looks like I need more orange, browns, grays and darker blues. I'll certainly check my stash of FQs first and then head to the quilt shop, if needed.

I'd like to see what fabrics others plan to use. Please share.

Edit.....I was going to share a picture of my fabrics, but I encountered a technology road block. I'll try again later.

**under a picture uploaded to an album, there will be an image code and a picture url. Copy and paste the IMG CODE into your group post to make your picture appear here. ~ Karen**

I have my fabrics. A while back I was able to purchase a large fat quarter bundle of 30's prints in anticipation of doing this quilt. I also have several different charm packs I can use to fill in for colors that I don't find elsewhere.

This morning I got the book ordered and l look forward to browsing through it until we start our sew-along.

Nancy
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

I have so many fabrics in my stash I could probably make this 30 times and not repeat any fabrics. However, I know my lack of willpower and will probably want to use it as an excuse to buy more. I need to challenge myself to use what I have. C'mon you guys, be my support group on this. I gotta downsize that stash!

Comment

Horsejody, I pulled what I could and got some FQs to fill in the gaps. I'm like you.....any excuse to buy more, but I do have a story to tell. Recently, I accidentally spilled my scrap bucket and literally could not get them all back in the basket. I started sewing strips (different sizes) to ten inch square foundation papers. All of the scraps I've used in one quilt or the other since June 2013. It was so fun "revisiting" and "remembering" the quilts I had made. I also took the chance to pull some scraps for my Farm Girl Vintage blocks (FGV). Some of the pieces in the FGV quilt are as small as an inch to inch and a half.

You'll probably be surprised to learn how much you already have in your stash that will work in the FGV blocks.

Comment

I have about 350 fat quarters and a minimum of 400 yards of assorted yardage. I should be able to find something. LOL

Comment

Horsejody, when I moved the last time, around 3 years ago, I went through all my fabrics as I packed and did some organizing. Anything over a yard went in clear totes based on type. (batiks, prints, solids, etc. The only one that didn't fit all in one tote were my admitted favorites, western themed and horse prints). Fat quarters and scrap pieces went in two boxes, based on color. Anyway, the totes went in a storage building, the boxes in the camp trailer we were living in at the time, and I tried my best to sew from the scrap boxes as much as possible. I could only go to the storage for background and border pieces, or if I just had to have a different fabric. I could not buy anything until I had checked my stash and I tried to find something that would work if at all possible. Lack of space encouraged me to stick with it, and I made some really neat quilts during that time, including the one that is my signature. I am no longer living in the trailer, but I try to stick to this plan still - it is sometimes challenging, but fun, too.

This quilt certainly lends itself to using small pieces and variety and Kayla did an awesome job of laying out a sample selection to help guide you. Before you buy anything, try laying out fabrics as she did from your stash, and see what you like. Get out more than you need, spread them all out and add and subtract until you have what pleases you. Try the ones you don't think will work, too, they may surprise you. One more good thing about this process - you will begin to see what colors or types of fabric you don't have, and when you go shopping you can fill in the gaps.
            sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Today's Daily Deal would work well in this quilt. A 30's charm pack.

Nancy
              Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

Nancy, you are right! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I'm overwhelmed by the fabric selection for this quilt, which is part of the reason that I haven't started any blocks previous to this. I've had the Farm Girl Vintage book for a year and a half. I dont have a lot of fabrics in my stash with the small prints that are so good for these blocks. I do have one 30's playtime charm pack but it won't be enough for 48 blocks. I need to see how my budget looks after the holidays!

Terri

Comment

Hi, Terri. One good thing about these blocks is you can mix and match because most blocks are scrappy. You could even mix solids in there too.

Comment

I started quilting last January and really only had time to participate in the Splendid Sampler this year, which has been a great place to learn. So this quilt along seems like another great learning place, that stretches the whole year so I shouldn't get discouraged. I want to order the book and some fat quarters. They recommended 35 to 40 for 100 6" blocks for the Splendid Sampler. Do you think 20 FQ will be enough for 48- 6" blocks?

Comment

SweetiePie, that is definitely a good start and will likely be plenty for the blocks, but you'll need background, sashing, and borders. The blocks themselves are scrappy and honestly don't requirement a huge amount of fabric.

Comment

I ordered Farm Fun yesterday in Fat quarters and see today that the layer cake is on sale. That is how it goes. When I get the book, I will try to pick out border and backing, when I have an idea of what I need. I saw on Lori Holt's site that she has a cow too. I might have to subsitute that for the sheep. I have a milk cow on the farm but no sheep. I can't wait to see the fabric in person.

Comment

SweetiePie, where is the Farm Fun layer cake on sale? I saw this fabric in person at a quilt shop on a road trip recently and really wanted it for my future grandchild (who is not yet conceived, lol) but couldn't justify the purchase with no plan in mind for the fabric. But a layer cake...

Comment

Sewlucky, it was yesterday's daily deal.

Comment

Farm Girl Vintage Sew-a-Long / January 2017

About this Group

This group will be our meeting place for a sew-a-long for Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book. We can use this meeting place to share our blocks, ask questions, seek help, and encourage each other.

I'm excited to get started with these blocks and hope to meet others interested in the same.

Now is the time to get your book and fabrics together for a January 2017 kick off!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 45
                              Comments: 167

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X