No announcement yet.

En Provence - Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quiltalong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those pesky QSTs and triangles in squares!

Is anyone else have trouble sewing QSTs and triangles in square together? I am having the devils own time with it! It is bulky right where I start sewing them together and my fabric doesn't want to feed through. It gets aggravating. I am only doing the sashing strips at this point. Haven't started the blocks yet. Does anyone have a tip for making it easier? Or is it just me?
    Nancy

I had decent luck with the triangles in a square using the ruler she mentions... haven't started my QSTs yet, but I -think- I've figured out a way to make Jenny's HST trick work for QST. (If it works out, I'll let you all in on the secret.)

At this point, QST and the yellow blocks are all I have left to cut and/or piece... then it's time for trimming and assembly!

Comment

Neller, you mean joining the QSTs and the tri-recs units together, don't you? They are both pressed so the seams go the same way, towards the sides of the block, so there is certainly a lot of bulk. It actually made some of my units shift a little, but I left them as they came out.

Comment

Lourixe, that's exactly what I meant! They are boogers to sew together! It helps a little to have a leader/ender start them off. This quilt is certainly going to be the most intricate one I have pieced to date. Did you chain piece your blocks, or did you sew one row piece by piece and then sew up the rows when you had all five for the block done?
        Nancy

Comment

I made block by block: it is so easy to get confused with this pattern! I actually used Bonnie's technique to "web" the units: I sewed the 2 first units of row #1, then the 2 first units of row #2... After the two first units of row #5 I would sew a Leader&Ender piece and cut the thread. Then I would start addimg the third unit to each of the rows.
          This way, when all of the units of each row are sewn together, the rows themselves are conected by bits of thread of the chain piecing and it is almost impossible to get confused.
          Bonnie explains it much better in her website under the tips and techniques tab: it is called webbing the top: http://quiltville.blogspot.com.es/20...titch.html?m=1

Comment

lourixe, I'm happy someone could use Bonnie's webbing technique. I haven't tried it on En Provence because I have not started sewing units together. I was working on some simpler units. I broke my brain trying to do that and I haven't recovered yet

Comment

En Provence - Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quiltalong

About this Group

For anyone working on the En Provence mystery quilt. Share your fabric choices and pictures of your quilt as you work through the clues.
            Type: Public
            Topics: 28
            Comments: 235

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X