En Provence - Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quiltalong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clue #4 DARK Purple / Neutral units

Its a clue 2 repeat week using our DARK Purple and neutral fabrics . 80 triRec units - this will be fast..,,,, and EZ .... but oh man i wanted to play with my yellllllooooooowwwwwws

saw this post on the fb group:
    ** You know you are a mystery quilter when you are stopped at a traffic light and the license plate in front of you reads HST 488 and you think the next clue must be is 488 half square triangles! **
    HAHAHHAHAH
    Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
    hugs, Suzi
    http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
    it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

I'm so glad Part 4 is just a repeat of Part 2 since that is what I am working on right now.
    It will be easy for me to transition from magenta into purple and get 'em all done at the same time.

And so funny (license plate)... I would have thought the same thing! LOL

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Comment

I would pass smooth out if we had to do 488 HST!

Comment

That was a very funny post on Bonnie's site. Equally funny was another post where autocorrect changed the word neutrals to the word nostrils. Hilarity! It worth searching the page to find that post and read all the responses. I was laughing out loud.

Yes, Suzi, I am so impatient to see how the greens and yellows fit in. But that is half the delicious fun of the mq I guess. It's all that frustrated anticipation.

Comment

Woot. This is good timing. I've been playing catch up now that most of my Christmas gifts are done, and I've been doing all the four-patches. Had I done the clues in order, I'd be out of variety in my neutrals for this clue. As it stands, I may have to dig and see if I can't find a few more to throw in for more variety.

Comment

I am more curious about greens than yellows, as I don't have much variety from the latter.
            About this clue, I loved this unit from the first time I made it (for the Celtic Solstice Mystery) although I didn't even have the right tools then.
            I am wondering if next units will be HSTs, Flying Geese or Hourglasses, as the Essential ruler works for either. I am quite fond of HSTs, but I need to improve my accuracy with the other shapes mentioned.
            There are two more Fridays before New Year, but I don't know how many clues are left. Bonnie used to keep the easiest clue (or with the smallest amount of units) for Christmas week, as most people are rather busy then.

Comment

I really enjoy the tri recs block after doing these for this quilt. When you do that many at once you just have to buckle down and master your problems with creating a certain unit. Lourixe I need to improve my hourglass blocks too. I don't want wonky ones in this quilt. From reading Bonnie's blog post today I think this smaller number of units is the easiest/smallest one since this week is the runup to Christmas.

Comment

Finished clue #4. We haven't touched yellow nor green yet, there might be 2-3 clues left, and I am running out of variety in my purples...

Comment

Lourixe me too! I definitely am weak on dark purples. I'm just cutting 3 1/2" strips for clue 4 and it's a little worrisome. I might search for more.

Comment

I wish either of you were closer. I have dark purples
                    Haven't started my clue yet, planning to tomorrow

Comment

I had four dark purples to choose from but only used two......I am nervous about scrappy. I know that I will love it once it happens but my brain just freezes up when doing these clues.

Comment

Is this your first MQ? It is my first. I too get a little scared when I see how many units I'm creating with no idea how they will work out together. At this point I'm happy I stuck with Bonnie's color palette, but I get nervous about it too. Then I try to shake myself and reset the misgivings by looking at how Bonnie Hunter color palettes turn out. Gorgeous, right? I'm cutting strips today for clue 4 and i am going to use most of the dark purples and really mix it up. Then I need to put everything away for a little get together I'm hosting this week. And my son is coming over for our Christmas celebration together early because he's flying out on vacation at the end of the week. Doubt I will get in much sewing time before Saturday.

Comment

Yes it is my first, I saw last years but didn't really understand or follow each step. I have only tried to make one scrappy quilt & learned a lot about values. I to look at her others to know that it will all work out. My other reason in not cutting into the other purples was to try to not make more scraps when I could use those pieces for another project or the back.

Hope you get together is a success! Sounds like family fun will be in full swing. I won't have to put anything away for the holidays, just shut the door. haha.

Comment

How I wish I could just shut the door on it! That was my previous apartment. This current one is a much better situation in many important to me ways, but this year I moved my sewing machines into my dining room. Because it's so large, and unless I'm entertaining it's just a big display! So now it's my sewing space and I can lay things out on my dining table and the light from 2 big windows is wonderful. I like this arrangement much better. After the holidays I have to fix up the way I have spare room/ sewing storage organized, so it's a very good thing that I can close that off.

I'm realizing that Bonnie's aesthetic goes far deeper than what the simple word 'scrappy' implies. It's quite complex really and it reminds me of Joen Wolfram's class on color theory and her book. Her own quilts and others' work she features have this same subtle planned shading through color values. I'm challenged by it, but also enjoying it.

Comment

Sounds like you have a great space! The windows sound great too.
                              I am learning a lot about color & value ( I am challenged in both area's) Thinking I will go back to do last years MQ after this.

Comment

En Provence - Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quiltalong

About this Group

For anyone working on the En Provence mystery quilt. Share your fabric choices and pictures of your quilt as you work through the clues.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 28
                              Comments: 235

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X