365 Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitred Corners

If you struggled with the instructions for the mitred corners like me, I found a really easy to follow clip on Youtube which explains how to do these corners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zOZNoSdW_U

so easy!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am 10 days behind and haven't attempted the miters yet. I'm sure this will come in handy.
    Cindy

Comment

I tried her method and another from Man Sewing on scrap blocks. Rob Appell's method was a little easier for me on the small blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyAJ-qFK0qQ

Comment

Thanks for the link Susan. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw today's block! Had a couple of battles with yesterday's block and now they're multiplied 4 times! Oh well - such is a quilters life.

Comment

Thanks for the link Susan. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw today's block! Had a couple of battles with yesterday's block and now they're multiplied 4 times! Oh well - such is a quilters life.

Comment

You're right Papa. Rob Appell's method is easy to follow. I'm going to try it for the next block and see which I prefer. Thanks for the link.
            BTW I am going to get one of the irons like Rob uses, I'm sick of having to turn off my iron when it keeps beeping at me when I'm quilting and it wants me to either switch it off or start using it. I've heard the irons are very good and don't make a sound!

Comment

Well - i'm definitely heading for the bottom of the class spot. It took me about 3 hours to make yesterday's block and it still came out all wonky!! I took some hints from your link Susan and some from yours Papa but still the blocks were rubbish. Need to go shopping today so will have a break from it today. But - will keep trying them. I've always avoided them in the past and now I know why!!

Comment

Drats! ! I really took my time with the mitered corners , on the 6 inch one, so much attention...only to see at the end that I switched one dark with one medium dark . I was so discouraged that I didn't take it apart, just make a four patch that's not perfect. Ugh. Makes me wonder what's it gonna take to get some of these blocks just perfect. On the bright side however, my corners all rock!! Lol.

Comment

Meghan, I did the same sort of thing with the shadow box, reversed the fabric colours. My OCD, , wouldn't let me leave it so I had to undo it and resew. It was hard though because I had done such a good job with the mitred corner and when I redid it, it didn't turn out as well. But it was a good idea though because if I had left it, I would have lost the 3D effect.

Chris, I hope your next try at the 16/3 block worked out all right. I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Sueshan, thanks for the post, I'm not a big fan of the /16 th sizes in this last one. I was lucky enough to have a ruler with 1/8 th on it, but really, /16 ths? This is cutting it close. I guess I'm still a newbie, lol.

Comment

I did the first 2 mitered blocks last night & for the first time on this challenge I was stumped. I made one block twice & double checked my 1/4" seams but the blocks still came out a perfect 3" square. They are supposed to be 3 1/2" unfinished.
                      Was there a correction to the cutting sizes I missed or am I just an idiot???
                      I did the math & it seems to me that all the widths that say 1 1/4 should be 1 1/2"
                      Any one else have this problem???
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

I'm struggling with the mitred blocks too. I've done the first 2 simpler ones and managed to get them just to 3 1/2 ". They are a long way from perfect and are pressed into submission. I figure that in a quilt of that many blocks, no one is going to see the imperfections. I have lost quite a few points on triangles along the way and will lose some more when I join the blocks but this was a challenge for me to do, learn from and try to enjoy as a newbie quilter.

Comment

Bouse, if you are taking on this challenge as a newbie my hat is off to you.. I've been quilting for many years & I still found those pesky miters a real challenge. I think that's why I'm enjoying this so much, this really is a challenge & I'm learning many new things. This is forcing me to step out of my comfort zone & really test my skills.
                          And really, if I do my best I'm not going to stress over a few mistakes.. hahaha

Comment

Quiltfreestyle as far as I'm aware there was no correction made to the cutting sizes. My 2nd and 3rd mitred corner blocks measure to just under 3.5 inches. I'm not redoing them, I'm just going to have to be mindful of their smaller size when I sew the blocks together.

Comment

Thanks Sueshan I must have eaten a stupid pill, but I redid the block with the larger pieces & only needed to trim a tiny bit off... I'm going to go with it & just move on. I had trouble with the March 19 block too, Sarah Favorite. When I did it exactly as the pattern called for it came out exactly 3" square.. the second one I did I added extra 4 patches to it & then cut it down. I must have done something wrong the first time but the the second block turned out so I'm just going to use that one.
                              I wonder what I can make with these orphan blocks ?? I have a feeling there will be a few more before the year is over..

Comment

365 Challenge

About this Group

This is a group for all quilters taking part at the 365 Challenge. Please open only a new thread in this group, if you cannot find one with the right theme. Have fun!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 29
                              Comments: 461

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X