365 Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Centre Medallion

Not sure what time you guys get the daily release of the new block, (unless you access it on FB), but I get the new block at 1am. So just in case you don't know yet, Kathy has released the pattern for the Centre Medallion........ whoohoo! We have 2 days to finish it.

I just got the block - how are you measuring 15/16? Do I just cut it on the inch and trim down? I don't have a ruler that has 16ths. Mine are all 8ths.
    Cindy

Comment

My ruler only has 8ths as well. I haven't done the blocks that require 16ths yet but I was going to do them bigger and cut them down. Not sure how else you could do them. Does anyone else know?

Comment

I posted in the forum also to get a quicker response. Bhaggerty said to cut larger and cut down. I don't know if that will make it harder to match up or not - I hope that makes sense.
        Cindy

Comment

That's how I did the other blocks that had 16th. Rounded up the piece & cut it down after. It worked but I admit I don't like these 16th measurements. I almost had a heart attack when I saw this mornings block & thought it was another 3 1/2" one. So happy it's a big big block hahaha...
          I'll have my new layer cake on Monday so I think I'll wait until then to do this one so I can bring in some new prints.
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

There were other 16ths? They must have been this week - last one I did was Feb. 22. I think I'll start with the 23rd and do them in order. I just panicked when I saw the 16th because I don't know how to measure that. Thanks for your help.
            Cindy

Comment

I'm paper piecing some of the blocks, so I haven't noticed the 1/16th measurements.

Comment

Seaturtle, Feb 25 & Feb 26 have 16ths.
                Mommadeb, I know how to paper piece, but can you explain how you are doing these blocks please? Are you drawing the measured blocks on a piece of paper and then sewing the fabric pieces onto the paper?

Comment

I wish she would have written some of the intermediate measurements, so that you can check your block's size as you are constructing it. For instance, at the end of part 1 (Feb 28) your assembled square should be 10 1/2". What I didn't get is that H+G should finish 2" wide, so they'll match piece I in the next phase. In my case H+G are 2 1/8" to 2 1/4".

Comment

lourixe, thanks for mentioning that the 1st part should be 10 1/2". I agree, it would be helpful to have intermediate measurements. I just finished the 1st part - now I need to go back and look at those H+G pieces.
                    Cindy

Comment

Sueshan-I have EQ7 so I just find the blocks in there and in the layout select what finished size I need and then I print the foundation pattern for the block. I will not do that for the center medallion though. It's just too big.

After I print the foundation pattern out, then I sew the fabric to the paper and so on and so forth. I'm not doing it for all of the blocks. I'm just trying it now and again. Just remember, your color choices for the block will be backwards when the block is finished. For me, this is no big deal as when the top is done, there will be so much going on that it won't be noticed.

Comment

Thanks Mommadeb for letting me know. That sounds so easy. However, I have just converted the measurements to 8ths and the blocks seem to be working out. I asked at my local quilt shop and they haven't heard of 16ths rulers. I don't know why Kathy is using this measurement. Is it something to do with EQ7?

Comment

Sueshan, how did you convert to 8th? did you just round to the closest? I am in the process of taking mine apart - I just couldn't stand that large H+G at the top.
                          Cindy

Comment

I haven't started the medallion yet, I was talking about the blocks. I remember my high school maths and convert the fractions to 8ths eg: 4/16 = 2/8 if it is an odd number eg: 11/16 I just rounded it up to 12/16 then 6/8. It seems to have worked with the blocks, hope it does with the medallion.

Comment

Sueshan-I think it is EQ7. If I remember right, for rotary cutting instructions on some other things I have done, it called for 1/16th.

For this quilt top I am just rounding up to the nearest 1/8 and so far so good.

Comment

365 Challenge

About this Group

This is a group for all quilters taking part at the 365 Challenge. Please open only a new thread in this group, if you cannot find one with the right theme. Have fun!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 29
                              Comments: 461

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X