365 Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half square triangles

I've never done these before so the blocks with all these little triangles are scaring me a bit. What's your best method to get accurate triangles. There's not much wiggle room on these tiny blocks.

I would only attempt these tiny HST and QST with a ruler. I recommend Deb Tucker's, Tucker Trimmer. You make the blocks slightly oversized and then trim them to precise measurements.

You will need the Tucker Trimmer I (1/2 and whole cuts) the most. Try that one and if you like it, get the Tucker Trimmer III (1/4 and 3/4 cuts).

Comment

I never heard of that tool. I will look it up. I find it helps to keep reminding myself that even the tiniest pieced need an accurate 1/4 inch seam.

Comment

For me the best tool to square up half square triangles is the block-loc ruler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYUQVUrG2Y
        I know the ruler is a bit expensiev, but ist absolutly werth ist Price. I dont know how to manage all These Little tiny pieces without it

Comment

You are so right Renate. I have the BlocLoc ruler (4 1/2" size) & it's made the squaring up of those teeny tiny HST so easy. I'm going to buy the 2 1/2" one too.
          May the road rise up to meet you...
          May the wind be always at your back...
          May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
          Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

for me the best is the 6 1/2 because it gives me more possibility. M* has it available. I think I will buy the one for flying geese too, but will decide at the Festival of quilt in Birmingham, which I visit this August.

Comment

I'm impressed with the BlocLoc ruler that you're talking about. I hadn't heard of it and just watched the video. How easy is that!!! Certainly stops the slipping and sliding that can happen with an ordinary ruler. I can get one through a local supplier. Good investment.

Comment

Yes Chris, absolutly. I just did a farmer`s wife rail fence pattern with a lot of half square triangles and never would have managed it so perfect without this Little helper.

Comment

What size Blocloc ruler would you guys recommend me getting.

Comment

I have the 6 1/2, the biggest one, because it gives me most possibilities

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. Can you use the big ruler for the little HST, what is the smallest HST can you make with it?

Comment

Yes of course, you can do all sizes up to 6 1/2 inches with the 6 1/2 ruler and also down to 1/2 Inch, if you want. there is no Limit to smaller. Therefor I suggest the biggest one.

Comment

Thanks Renate. Did you know the ruler goes up to 12.5"? I wonder if that is too big to handle the little HST. I'm thinking of getting the Flying Geese ruler as well.

Comment

thats new to me, many thanks for this Information. I will visit the bloc-loc booth at the birmingham quilt Show in August to see all the News and make my mind up if it necessary and useful to have such a big ruler like the 12.5 and what they are doing with it.

Comment

Hi Renate
                              here is the link to the American BlocLoc website:
                              Bloc Loc Rulers - The Best Quilting Innovations Since the Ruler
                              If you go to rulers they list what sizes are available.

Comment

365 Challenge

About this Group

This is a group for all quilters taking part at the 365 Challenge. Please open only a new thread in this group, if you cannot find one with the right theme. Have fun!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 29
                              Comments: 461

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X