No announcement yet.

2017 Temperature Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your plan, temperature range, etc.?

Feel free to describe your plan for your units, layout, temperature ranges, colors, etc.

Here's my plan:
    I live in Western WA and our temperatures generally range between 30 and 90 degrees in any given year. We do not get a huge range of temps so for my city using increments of 5 degrees makes the most sense for me in order to get a good color variation. If I didn't want much of a color variation I would define my ranges in 10 degree increments.

My range is:
    Temperature Range Color
    <31 Dark Purple
    31-35 Light Purple
    36-40 Dark Blue
    41-45 Light Blue
    46-50 Dark Teal
    51-55 Light Teal
    56-60 Dark Green
    61-65 Light Green
    66-70 Light Yellow
    71-75 Dark Yellow
    76-80 Light Orange
    81-85 Dark Orange
    86-90 Dark Pink
    > 90 Red
    My Units and Layout
    My units are going to be HSTs with the top half representing the highest temp for the day and the lower half representing the lowest temp for the day. I "think" I am making 2" HSTs to finish at 1.5" squares.

I am going to sew my HSTs into columns for each month. So first column = January (31 HSTs), 2nd column = sashing, 3rd column = February (28 HSTs), 4th column = sashing, etc. Since January will have 31 HSTs and February will only have 28 I will add 3 solid colored squares to the bottom of February's HSTs. These will be the same color as the sashing. Undecided on the color although I know I do not want it to be any of the colors used in my temperature ranges. It will likely be white, black or gray.

Based on my calculations my quilt should end up around 28.75 x 38.75 or 31.25 x 38.75 depending on whether or not I add side borders to make it a bit wider. This is perfect for my desire to make this into a wall quilt as opposed to a bed quilt.

I CANNOT WAIT TO GET STARTED!!!

I don't really have a design in mind yet or project size. I have tons of scraps of many different colors, both patterns and solids so I want to take from them as much as possible. So scappy and strips are the plan. Im thinking of making it as simple as possible so maybe a jelly roll race style with a solid of the same color for separating the months. I have to take out a pencil and do the math between now and the second week in Jan :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I need to think more about how I want to organize this. I'll be using scraps too. Haven't decided on my temperature vs. color chart yet.its a bit busy til the 26th and then I'll really buckle down and decide. This should be fun.

Comment

Way too busy right now to even have a finished thought. Ill figure everything out before January starts.
        This will be fun!
        Bec

Comment

Well I checked the temperatures here min/max for 2016 and the range was 94 degrees down to -6. The hottest day ever on record was 108. Yikes...I'd die. For the most part only a few days in the summer got 90 or above. Although it's usually 75 to 85 in the summer, it's the humidity that kills us. Anyway, I wanted to write this down someplace handy for a reference :-) This is it.
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Well I've joined and hopefully will get it done. I intend to sew weekly but not decided on the design. I suppose my biggest challenge is selecting the fabrics as I don't have a lot of scraps and our temperatures only move from 25 degrees at the coldest and not every year to 86 at the warmest - if we're lucky!! Will report back when it's sorted!!

Comment

I ended up revising my temperature range definitions because the mockup I created based on 2016 temps made me realize it was too granular and wasn't telling a strong enough story of the temperature change. I also wanted a little more red in the quilt so I have drastically simplified:

I really cannot wait to get started !

Below 40 Purple
              40s Blue
              50s Green
              60s Yellow
              70s Orange
              80 and above Red

Comment

I don't particularly like oranges and most of the temps in the summer are 70-80. Ugh. What can I use instead? Any ideas"

Comment

I spent some time today getting the average temperature data for my city and thinking about how to organize. I am interested in using small HSTs to reflect the daily min/max. There is usually around a 15 degree difference most of the year. Maybe a lot more in the summer. The average daily temp overall is 56. So I want to be sure to use a color scheme that reflects colors I want to use most around that general temperature. So I am not going to follow the same ideas I've seen others do out on the web. I'm shifting the colors I've seen others use. I've thought about the idea of the triangles blending into one another as well as being very contrasty. And I'm not totally sure what I want more. I need to decide if I want this to be representational or more impressionistic. And I'm leaning strongly toward going much more impressionistic and using lots of different scrappy bits in each of the color values. I have a lot of them and I think I could make it work. Not sure what to do next. I think I will sleep on it and then finalize the temperature/color chart I made. I think I will make some HSTS as a trial and see how I like the more impressionistic look. I can always use the HSTs for something else. I have time before Friday when we get another clue for the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt which I'm also doing.

Comment

Carrie: What other colors are you using?

Comment

I was going to use the chart you put up. I think in the summer there will be a lot of oranges because of my summer temp range. I hate oranges!!!

Also do you know if there are images of temperature quilts on the net? Maybe pinterest? I'd love to see some for design ideas.

Comment

Hi Carlie Wolf, I agree with you that orange is not my fave. That's why I want to create a temperature - color chart that will work for the ranges I have here in Cleveland OH and will NOT require orange! So I did a first draft last night while watching the Cavs game on TV. It's not ideal and it's handwritten and erased multiple times. I'm going to revise it a little. I downloaded the temperatures for last month, because it was so unusually warm all month. Got the highs and lows for temps. I want to try making some units and see how they look on my revision of the color chart. I will try to post later on today, but sadly, I have other things I have to get done, lol.

Comment

Carrie: To eliminate the orange how about...
                          1) Adding a light pink as 81-85 temp range
                          2) Add Black or white or gray as the coldest temp range
                          3) Bump up all of the other colors up a slot

There are quite a few pics of temperature quilts others have done. Search for Temperature Quilt on Pinterest or Google Images.

Comment

This looks like an interesting idea! I broke down my temperature ranges for the high temperatures in groups of 5 degrees, with the lowest being 45-49 (which did not happen at all in 2016) to 120+ (which DID happen). That gives me 16 fabrics to pick out...probably moda grunge. I think I will enlist the kids' help with this...it'll be good for them. I found a blog that suggested 2.5 x 5.5 strips for each day, and that would give a decent-sized center.

Comment

I think I like the idea of substituting pinks for orange Imanna. Good one :-) Im thinking of doing something simple like large square for each month with sashing separating the months and the individual days within the large square as smaller squares. Then there would be 3 large squares across and 4 large squares down. In the end I can adjust the size of the quilt with a print border to bring most of the colors together. Anyway that's the plan at the moment LOL

Comment

2017 Temperature Quilt

About this Group

Group for creating a quilt based on daily temperatures for 2017
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 16
                              Comments: 81

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X