• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Storing a sewing machine

I have three sewing machines, two I use all the time and a third is in fine condition but I dont have space in my sewing room to set it up unless I take one of my other ones down. I would like to store the spare machine in my attic and want to know if it would be okay to wrap it in plastic to keep the dust off. Like wrap it in dry cleaner bags. Any advice? Thanks.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: Storing a sewing machine

Oh, definitely not an expert authority here, but I would be very hesitant about using plastic bags. But, a lot depends upon the insulation in the attic and whether it may get hotter there than in your house. Is this a machine in a cabinet or a carrying case? I am suspecting neither. If it is a stand alone machine I'd make sure that any plastic or rubber parts were removed if there was a chance of extreme heat in the attic. If that's not the case, I'd suggest getting a canvas-type laundry bag or similar dense fabric to put the machine in.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Rhonda K
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2017

How big is the machine? Do you have a rolling tote for the machine? Is there any room on a closet floor space? Please don't send a loved machine to the attic. I don't think the attic is the place to store the machine, JMHO.
      A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
      Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

• grammaterry
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

I have heard that electronics like computers and televisions should be stored in climate control areas. I have been a tad bid worried about the machine I use daily being in my un heated, un airconditioned sewing room with the extreme temps so any hard evidence I will be looking for
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• surfergirl
          The Guild President
          • Nov 2015

I know that you are never to leave your sewing machine in the trunk of a car because of the heat, I would think it would be the same for an attic because of the heat in summer.

Comment

• MHG Winnower
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2015

An attic (or a non-climate controlled room) is not a good choice for storage. Temp fluctuations will cause problems and possible condensation even if it is stored in a case. Plastic is a no-no.
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• bakermom
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2010

FWIW my sewing room is the attic and my machines are just fine. No, we don't have air conditioning but after 10+ years there hasn't been any issues with them
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

What area of the country do you live in. I am in Alabama and the attic would not only kill my machine, I would suffocate, too.
                Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• MHG Winnower
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bakermom View Post
                  FWIW my sewing room is the attic and my machines are just fine. No, we don't have air conditioning but after 10+ years there hasn't been any issues with them
                  Lucky you! Sounds like you might live in a more temperate and consistent climate with a well-insulated attic. Happy sewing!
                  “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                  “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Thanks everyone. I found a zippered bag big enough for the machine. I havelots of extra room on closet floors. I also have a large cedar closet in the upstairs hall that has my dd wedding gown in it and a few other things but is mostly empty. I keep wool coats, quilts and sweaters in it in the summer so I think that is where I will store my machine. Temp stays pretty constant. I never gave temp fluctuations a thought when I posted this originally, I was more concerned about whether it would be ok to wrap it in plastic. So you all had some good ideas. The Forum comes through again!!
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• bakermom
                      Missouri Star
                      • Sep 2010

AH, no, live in the Midwest, snowbelt. The attic is finished, we added two bedrooms there years ago for our older kids. We live in a century old 2 1/2 story house. It is fairly well insulated since it was used as living space but does get uncomfortable in summer without fans.
                      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• goldenrose_diana
                        Fabric Fanatic
                        • Nov 2018

Glad to know that you found a good solution for your machine!
                        Constant temperature (as well as humidity) is the most important factor to consider. Stuff I store in my attic is always slightly damp in winter. That's what happened to a sewing machine my mother stored in the attic. There was no saving it.
                        And a proper cover is a must.

Comment

• lots2do
                          Applique Angel
                          • Aug 2015

Glad you came up with a solution.

Comment

• Vonnie
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2013

Before I stored an older machine, I had it serviced so it would be nice and clean.
                            Vonnie

Comment

• nativetexan
                              Banned
                              Missouri Star
                              • Feb 2018

No, not the attic!!! my ex dtr- in- law stored my oil paintings in her attic. Wasn't good for them either!

Comment

Working...
                              X