• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mimi_Howard
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2016

Evangers dog food recalled....

The affected food is marked with lot numbers starting with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB and 1816E13HB, as well as the expiration date June 2020. It was distributed to retail and online stores in the following states: Washington, California, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Customers can return the cans for a full refund at the place of purchase.

BAD ! BAD ! BAD ! .... Five dogs became ill and one died after eating pet food containing pentobarbital, a lethal drug used to euthanize animals and execute criminals
  • Sylvia H
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Re: Evangers dog food recalled....

This is so tragic. The dog food industry can often be questionable. And, while feeding raw or cooking for your pets seems to be a good alternative (and it can be), people who do so really need to have a foundation on what is necessary to provide their pets with a well balanced diet. I am not a critic of raw and home cooked food, just want it to be clear that there are nutritional needs that have to be met regardless of how the food is provided.

A good site for the evaluation of manufactured dog and cat food is 'dogfoodadvisor.com' I am pretty sure they also evaluate cat food. Please be aware that most pet foods sold in grocery stores and even the big box pet stores are the lower quality products. I am fortunate to have a local pet store that sells only top quality foods, and provides monthly seminars on pet nutrition.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

I saw that. How the heck does a drug like that get into a processing plant? My aunt inherited my mom's Yorkie when she passed. She was old and could hardly chew so she fed her roasted chicken from the market. She lived to a nice happy old age.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• CraftyJnet
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2015

Sylvia, that site is very interesting. I checked our dog food and it is "Enthusiastically recommended" and 5 star rated. I thought it was pretty good based on the ingredients but it is nice to know for sure. Thank you for posting the link!

Jeannette

Comment

• cashs_mom
          Quilting Royalty
          • Jun 2016

Evangers hasn't had a good track record lately. They've had several recalls on their food. It sounds like their quality control is severely lacking.

I feed raw and have for over 20 years now. I had a good local source that I get my dog food from and I'm so grateful for them. They're Mennonites that run their own processing plant. The food is awesome.
          Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight, Rocketeer

Comment

• Lyndaj
            The Guild President
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
            This is so tragic. The dog food industry can often be questionable. And, while feeding raw or cooking for your pets seems to be a good alternative (and it can be), people who do so really need to have a foundation on what is necessary to provide their pets with a well balanced diet. I am not a critic of raw and home cooked food, just want it to be clear that there are nutritional needs that have to be met regardless of how the food is provided.
            Wow, you say you are not a critic of raw and home cooked food, but you are. Having had two German Shorthaired Pointers, the first of which exhibited every allergic symptom known to mankind by the age of 10 months, despite being on Premium kibble, he was switched to raw and we never looked back. Of course, I did research and worked with a raw dog food store to meet his nutritional needs.

Then there is Java, who can't tolerate raw and we cook for him and have for the past 4 years with the help of an holitic vet.

There are lots of other options out there besides kibble.

Comment

Working...
            X