• Old Newbie
    The Guild President
    • Jan 2015

- Written patterns or not

I find reading written quilt patterns demoralizing. If I read
    132 of A
    132 of B
    66 of C. etc...
    I think, “Oh why even try.” Only once have I cut out all the pieces I needed in advance and I almost went crazy! Not only did I have to do 1 thing for a long time, but then I had to keep track of all those pieces! But I am a messy quilter. I like to cut about 10 pieces from fabric, work with those, and then go on. I work from an image and videos to get started. Pinterest has been great for me. How about you?
  • shermur
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: - Written patterns or not

Originally posted by Old Newbie View Post
    I find reading written quilt patterns demoralizing. If I read
    132 of A
    132 of B
    66 of C. etc...
    I think, “Oh why even try.” Only once have I cut out all the pieces I needed in advance and I almost went crazy! Not only did I have to do 1 thing for a long time, but then I had to keep track of all those pieces! But I am a messy quilter. I like to cut about 10 pieces from fabric, work with those, and then go on. I work from an image and videos to get started. Pinterest has been great for me. How about you?
    I am the same way....I would rather look at a photo and figure out the pattern myself. That way I can add or take away what doesn't make sense!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

I learn best by watching the tutorials. It helps to have the PDF of the pattern on which to take notes as I watch the tut. I seldom cut all the quilt pieces ahead. I'm more of a block-by-block sewer, especially if I'm using scraps. There are no quilt police. Do whatever works best for you.

Comment

• LLLinda
        The Guild President
        • Mar 2017

There is a very good reason not to cut all the pieces at once unless you only cut one block first and put it together. Sometimes you find a pattern that has a wrong dimension given. Easier and cheaper to only have messed up one block instead of the whole quilt.

Comment

• jjkaiser
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2013

I usually start by making one sample block to see if I like it. I never cut out the whole quilt and then put it together. I use Pinterest alot and I have so many pinned on my boards but I revisit them in my spare time, taking a closer look at color combos, borders, etc. As far as following patterns I mostly pay close attention only to how many blocks needed in a row and how many rows to make, and then proceed making block by block. If something is strip pieced tho you wind up cutting pieces and making strip sets that you use in more than one block. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it and each quilt demands its own kind of organization so you don't get pieces mixed up.
          Jocelyn
          South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• dwil23
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

That's me! I never seem to follow a pattern or instructions exactly. I "wing it" a LOT....
            Donna

Comment

• quiltingaway
              Missouri Star
              • Sep 2014

I always cut just for one block first. I need instant gratification and I want to see if I will like the block or not. If I like it then I will usually cut for several blocks at a time. The only time I cut for an entire quilt is if I'm going to a retreat. I find it hard to concentrate on cutting with all the chatter that is going on around me. I get too distracted.
              Annie
              "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• auntstuff
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2017

I very much prefer written patterns. Just because it SAYS cut 350 of 'A' doesn't mean you have to cut them all at once. I start with enough to do a couple blocks, then cut more, and just keep track. Pencils work well for that. Videos just annoy me.
                She who dies with the most quilts is......
                Still dead.
                What's your hurry?

Comment

• Old Newbie
                  The Guild President
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                  Just because it SAYS cut 350 of 'A' doesn't mean you have to cut them all at once.
                  Ha! This made me laugh and is true and good advice. Still, I guess I am an avoider, because just knowing the number can paralyze me.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

Funny this thread is today, I started cutting out a quilt and got annoyed due to I'm using fewer fabrics and math was driving me nuts. Now I see if I stop cutting in masses and start piecing I'd probably enjoy the quilt. I finally refound a basket quilt pattern in an old magazine. I've always wanted to make one.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2011

I tend to agree with JCY here. While I like the PDF patterns, I basically watch the tutorials a couple of times and then when I want to cut or sew, watch them again. I finally put a PC in my sewing room so I don't have to watch the videos on my desktop in the living room.
                      Everyone has different ways that are easier for them.....whatever works for you is the best thing to do!
                      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• KarenC
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2015

My first quilt from a pattern, I cut out everything. Then sewed it all together. Well, I got to the end and didn't have enough pieces, but kenw I cut what they said. Off to JoAnns to buy more fabric. Not until I got home and sat down to sew the new pieces, did I realize I was sewing on the line I drew across my HSTs instead of 1/4 inch on each side! I kept wondering why I was wasting so much by cutting off so much and tossing. I do like watching tutorials for an idea. I also do a good bit of winging it.

Going to take a class with Bonnie Hunter in a few months. We'll see how that scrappiness thing goes. A bit out of my comfort zone.
                        Karen
                        Spring, TX

Comment

• grammaterry
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2015

I guess I'm really the oddball on this one. I love cutting out all the pieces first and as they dwindle down, I feel a real since of accomp;lishment. I really like it when they spell it out .. so many A's, so many b's etc. What I don't like is when they tell me that and then they want me to cut some of them different later on in the instructions.
                          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                          Terry of NC

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

Another reason I don't do all the cutting at the same time is due to wear & tear on my wrist & hand, esp. since I've had the carpal tunnel release surgery.

Comment

• TMP
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2014

The one time I have cut out all my pattern pieces, the pattern was wrong in three places. Since this was for my grandson and he ask every time he saw me when was I going to finish it, I had to purchase more fabric. It was so wrong there was no getting around it. . I learned a lesson if its a printed pattern go search to see if there are any corrections before you cut. I also have arthritis in my right arm and hand so cutting out a couple of blocks works better for me.
                              I do also like video's. I will watch them and then rewatch them and take notes so I have something to refer back to.
                              Last edited by TMP; May 18, 2019, 10:23 PM.
                              Teresa
                              Pelham, Alabama
                              War Eagle!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X