• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oleg
    Applique Angel
    • Jun 2013

Snowballing Tip

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just discovered something on a quilt I'm making. I am making Jenny's Fence Rail Quilt with Diamonds, which requires me to snowball two opposite corners of each block I'm making. I've noticed that my snowballs are a little short when I sew directly on the diagonal of each square. If I sew just a smidge (even less than a 16th of an inch) towards the soon to be cut off side, my squares lie perfectly. They press out fully to the sides of the block. If you sew directly on the line, they seem to me just shy of making it fully to the sides/corner. Just thought I would share. It was starting to stress me out, but now I feel so much better once I figured out how to fix this. Happy sewing!

http://missouriquiltco.com -- Jenny Doan demonstrates how to quickly and easily make a stunning Fence Rail Diamond Quilt using jelly rolls (2.5" x 44" strips...
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: Snowballing Tip

Sure hope I remember this when I'm ready to do some more snowballing. And that's in my future.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• kensington
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

Deffinately do it the way that works best for you, I've never had an issue using Jenny's method. I made a snowball, 4 patch and it's one of the best quilts I've done. I do the press the line method.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
        Missouri Star
        • May 2013

Just put the Big Star on my to-do list. This tip will really help ... Thanks!

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
          Missouri Star
          • May 2013

I have heard this tip before and it really works. It helps get past the hump of the thread and folds much flatter and reaches the edge of the block perfectly. Just one thread over from the pressed fold is perfect.

Thanks for the reminder.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Suzette
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

Thanks for posting this! I find, just like you, that my blocks come out perfect if I am a thread or two over from the line versus sewing right on it. Your posting of this handy little tip will help others who might not have known this before.
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2012

I don't remember this tutorial' Thanks for the tip!
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Grandma Nan
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2014

This trick also works if you have trouble with keeping Flying Geese blocks straight. I still make them the old fashioned way.
                Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

• Cyndie
                  Quilting Guru
                  • May 2014

Thank you for this tip...I was getting frustrated and stating to hate doing snowballs. Can't wait to try this!
                  Every great human achievement is preceded by extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort-Brian Tracy

Life is not a rehearsal!

Comment

• Deegles
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Oleg View Post
                    I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just discovered something on a quilt I'm making. I am making Jenny's Fence Rail Quilt with Diamonds, which requires me to snowball two opposite corners of each block I'm making. I've noticed that my snowballs are a little short when I sew directly on the diagonal of each square. If I sew just a smidge (even less than a 16th of an inch) towards the soon to be cut off side, my squares lie perfectly. They press out fully to the sides of the block. If you sew directly on the line, they seem to me just shy of making it fully to the sides/corner. Just thought I would share. It was starting to stress me out, but now I feel so much better once I figured out how to fix this. Happy sewing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Oo3K7-1I
                    Is it possible anyone due to thread thickness? Has anyone tried smaller thread? I wonder if this would help. I will have to try this for myself.
                    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• DebbieDoodle
                      Designer Diva
                      • Apr 2015

Would this be the same as using a scant 1/4"? I'm directionally impaired. Since I have never done the snow ball technique, I didn't know if that side is the same side as when you move your needle over for the scant.

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2013

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
                        Is it possible anyone due to thread thickness? Has anyone tried smaller thread? I wonder if this would help. I will have to try this for myself.
                        It is because of the thread. I use 50wt. No matter the thread it will still take up a small bit of space. So to make the fold better, sewing over one thread width helps.

Deegles, yes it is sort of equivalent to a scant 1/4 inch
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• JCY
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2013

In my quilting class I was taught to stitch the width of the needle beside the press, or marking, line when snowballing, not right on the line. It works well for me that way. The same is true when making flying geese. It always pay to square every time to make sure everything is the same & will match up ok. When doing that Diamond Rail Fence, it helps to press the seams in the opposite directions so those center diamonds match up better.

Comment

• Marty
                            Designer Diva
                            • Jan 2014

This is an older post but I want to say thank you. I am working on a Diamond Fence Rail quilt with additional 1.5" corners. I am getting so frustrated.

Comment

• Suzette
                              Missouri Star
                              • Oct 2012

I take this one step further and draw the line a smidge off to the right instead of perfectly on the diagonal. That way I can still stitch right on the line and be over that tiny little bit that makes for a perfect snowball block.

I know some quilters don't mark their squares for snowballing, but I almost always do and this has worked well for me.
                              Last edited by Suzette; December 17, 2018, 06:09 AM.
                              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Working...
                              X