• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snippet
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2012

Birthday Bash - Thursday Report

Thought I would give you a little report what happened today at the birthday bash in Hamilton. It was a beautiful sunny day - a little too warm for me - but there were plenty of people and lots of places to sit and enjoy the day. I started out at the retreat center doing the jelly roll race that I signed up for. Jenny was there and showed us how to do the jelly roll race. We all selected our fabrics (the store donated them) and we got busy. Everyone finished in various times (it wasn't really a race) and then we got to hang them all outside along the new rails to the sidewalk. They looked lovely. I think a picture is going to be posted on Facebook so if anyone sees it can then grab it and post it here too please. I saw Charyti briefly early in the morning, I think she was on a mission, shopping or organizing last minute things. Peggy Anne, Gloria, Marilyn and I were the only ones from the forum in the race. Then we were hungry, so we walked over to Js Burger Dive for lunch. As I came out, Suzy Que was sitting at a table! So we all day with her and chatted and ate. After that, I popped back into the store to buy the DD and then I headed back to Cameron and checked into the Super 8.

I crashed as soon as I got into my room. I had a headache- probably from the heat and dehydration. Woke up and decided I should unload my car. I parked in the back of the Motel, and there were about 8 half dressed young men hanging out back there, smoking and drinking. I was apprehensive to say the least. But I walked past them and smiled. They were outside grilling some hot dogs and relaxing. I chatted with them a bit, thinking they might be workers on the bridge, but no -- they are building a "quilt factory" as they put it. I laughed and said yeah quilting is big around here.

I want to apologize for any typos or weird wordings. I'm using my phone and it's not easy. I have some photos, but I can't resize them to post yet. Later.
  • Kgrammiecaz
    Missouri Star
    • May 2013

Re: Birthday Bash - Thursday Report

Awesome. Thank you for posting. I will look for the photo on fb, but not sure about me posting it here. My ipad and the forum are not real photo frinendly with each other. Sounds like a good time is being has in Hamilton. Lots of fb postings.
    Karen
    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• kensington
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

We tried to find you again as we were leaving town... We went to the Acorn and there was only one room with a Texas license plate... and I knocked on the door. The man said, "No, No, Not Carol's room"...

LOL... we headed home and just as we got to our road... my hubs called and invited us to go eat Italian. We just got home and I unloaded all my goodies...

I need to know the name of the 2.5 strips you bought, I went to search them out, and the upstairs shops didn't have them, and neither did the License shop... And since I couldn't give them a name... they couldn't help me find them either. So, give a girl a hand and tell me the name of the Cowboy strips... the set that had the horse shoes fabric.

PS... Loved seeing you, looking forward seeing you again Saturday, one day with you is just not enough!

Comment

• SuzyQue
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2010

I will add my 2 cents....I arrived in Hamilton later than I wanted....thanks highway department for detouring me all over the county. I did my shopping and looking around. While eating a late lunch, I saw Snippet and Peggy Ann and hubby. Then along came Marilyn and Kensington. We chatted and ate. Then a quick run through the retreat center to vote for my favorite quilt....well, not too quick. Thanks to the helpful, local staff at M*, I was able to do a much quicker detour down some gravel roads on the return home. I won't incriminate myself with a full list of purchases, but suffice it to say I did get the DD, the latest Block magazine, and a large stack of fat quarters.....lots of bright kid prints for eye spy quilts in my future. Gotta keep adding to the stash! It was a warm day, but one full of friends, fun, and fabric!

Comment

• Grandma Nan
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2014

Wow!! Good to hear from all of you about the Birthday Bash. I am just picturing all the places in my mind as you speak of them-the retreat centre, the tables and chairs and J's burger dive. Wish I were there but hope you all have a great time. Maybe see you next year.
          Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

• snippet
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kensington View Post
            We tried to find you again as we were leaving town... We went to the Acorn and there was only one room with a Texas license plate... and I knocked on the door. The man said, "No, No, Not Carol's room"...

LOL... we headed home and just as we got to our road... my hubs called and invited us to go eat Italian. We just got home and I unloaded all my goodies...

I need to know the name of the 2.5 strips you bought, I went to search them out, and the upstairs shops didn't have them, and neither did the License shop... And since I couldn't give them a name... they couldn't help me find them either. So, give a girl a hand and tell me the name of the Cowboy strips... the set that had the horse shoes fabric.

PS... Loved seeing you, looking forward seeing you again Saturday, one day with you is just not enough!
            It is Learning the Ropes. Maybe I got it at the Mercantile. I can't remember. I had a time finding it and the Stonehenge patriotic one too.

One thing I had trouble with is knowing what store I'm about to enter. The store name is waaay above the store, it's not easy to see when you are on the sidewalk. I think they need signs on the doors too. And a sign on the door to the upstairs stores.

Comment

• K. McEuen
              Super Moderator
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2011

I made it to Topeka, then will find is the rest of the trip in the morning.
              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

• auntiemern
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2012

I arrived at Gloria's last evening. It was fun doing my first Jelly Roll quilt. We did the JRR2...and had precut our little squares last night. Needless to say ours was not nearly as quick to do. It was great seeing everyone...I also ran in to asta at the Penney's store. Two more days of BB fun, the retreat fun. It is going to be a good vacation for me.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

• bubba
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2013

I made it!!! Got up and dressed and out the door by 0830....went back in and changed into jeans and a sweater because I was cold. Landed and walked off the plane and all the air was sucked from my lungs and besides being muggy, it was very hot! I get to the lobby of the airport looking for the tall woman (Sandy). Saw no tall woman, but there were two hooligans wrapped in bubble wrap with a monkey! I did not have my wits about me or I'd have taken a picture of Doloris and Sandy, both there to meet me!

Drove to the hotel then went to dinner. As we were sitting waiting for our food, in walked ten or so men wearing shirts with quilt blocks. Al Doan and his posse!

After that, came back and gabbed to a bit....well two of us did, the old tall one went to bed! Talked to MM for a bit...he is feeling better today and was getting ready for work. Our youngest girl is going w/him to chemo in the morning.

I was hoping to be awake when Andrea and her husband get here, but I don't think I am going to make it.

Forgot to mention, yesterday was the sickest day I have had yet.......lost ten pounds in a variety of ways you don't want to know about.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• stationarymom
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2013

I'm glad you all made it safe.Pat I have to ask what was the bubble wrap about? Everyone have a great time.
                    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• bubba
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2013

It's cuz they are strange individuals!!!
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• snippet
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

2016-09-24 21.40.17.jpg
                        Marilyn (auntiemern) SuzyQue, Gloria (kensington) sitting on the patio

Comment

• snippet
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2012

2016-09-24 21.50.40.jpg
                          Me and the jelly roll quilt I made with a spicy fabric line.

Comment

• snippet
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2012

I forgot to mention all the new things done in Hamilton. New sidewalks! No more cracked sidewalks. And a ramp going up to the retreat center. And hand rails in front of the retreat center and across the street going from Penney's all the way down past the batik store.

The main store is really nice, the ceiling was lifted, Windows are in the back, and the walls and floor are white washed and wood. Really clean and crisp. The stores across the street and upstairs are so cute too. Even the machine shed is cool. Lots of notions and thread. It was a busy place.

Ih yeah at the retreat center they put up long strips of wood with clips to hang quilts. This well they had a bunch of quilts on display from those who submitted then. Jean (Jean Sewing Machine), Peggy Anne, Marilyn (auntimern), and Gloria (kensington) all had quilts there. Jean even won a prize for best use of a tutorial!

Comment

• Monique
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2011

Thanks everyone.
                              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                              X