Has anyone encountered your partner not being okay with gifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Momofmonsters5
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2012

Has anyone encountered your partner not being okay with gifts?

Now that the guy I live with understands the cost behind quilting, he doesn't like when I give quilting gifts to co-workers. I see it as I'm not spending money due to I have a huge stash. Has anyone else experienced their partner what I feel over stepping into their hobby? Just wanted to see how others handled it when faced with the issue. I'm not looking for judgement or anyone saying you shouldn't put up with that. I'm looking for a compromise or what has worked for others. I guess it's all in how we see our stashes as well. I've been quilting for over 14 years so my stash is extensive. He sees the cost when I have to replace fabric and he's gone to quilt stores with me. I'm the first quilter he's ever been around.
  • auntstuff
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2017

Re: Has anyone encountered your partner not being okay with gifts?

That's one of those "depends" questions.
    She who dies with the most quilts is......
    Still dead.
    What's your hurry?

Comment

• Old Newbie
      The Guild President
      • Jan 2015

No, I haven’t experienced this. I would separate my hobby,and not go to quilting stores together, etc... You might try explaining that the giving is PART of your hobby.

Comment

• jjkaiser
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

My dh is supportive. I don't make that many quilts for gifts and I am a hq so it takes me a long time to complete anything. His only criticism is he thinks recipients are not aware of the time I put into it and so he feels the gifts are under appreciated. And when someone barely thanks me I think it hurts him almost as much as it hurts me. As far as costs he never says a word about that. I made a gift quilt recently that I had to buy ALL new fabric for as it was batiks (had none in my stash) and I think it cost around $325. When I told him all he said was Wow, she'd better appreciate it. (I am giving her the quilt tomorrow.)
        Jocelyn
        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• oldmanquilts
          Designer Diva
          • May 2018

From this guys perspective... It's kinda hard not to comment without appearing to pass judgement on this. Maybe it's because I don't understand your partners view. Your hobby, and the giving is who you are, and that's what attracted him to you- or at least a part of it was. He wants to change you?

Quilting is a hobby, and I feel a hobby is most beneficial for one's health in so many ways- physical, mental, and just overall happiness. If your partner has no hobbies, he needs one. Over the years my wife and I have always had hobbies. Sometimes our interests align- sometimes they don't. Regardless, to make ones hobbies tough to pursue is sure to cause relationship problems.

Compromise? I don't think there is a satisfactory compromise, and often compromise isn't normally fairly shared. Our compromise was allowing for hobbies within your budget. Beyond that, spend your personal allotment anyway you wish. If the hobby doesn't take away from other important things, like paying the bills and putting food on the table, it should not be an issue.

This is a situation where communication is key. If communication is a problem, especially where there is a lack of understanding, I've found counseling to be invaluable. Counseling can take on many forms. Don't wait until there's problems before "seeking" counseling.

I could go on and on about hobbies and relationships, but it boils down to forming a good partnership. Do what you gotta do for happiness, as long as one isn't out of control with the spending.

You can spin this anyway you want, but "A happy wife is a happy life." And it really isn't necessary to sacrifice to make your partner happy. You gotta work on it together, even if your interests differ in some areas.

OK- Time to remove my "Dr. Phil" cap. LOL Don't let my wife read this. She'd think I'm getting weak. LOL
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• DeniseSm
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

You have to find a system that works for the two of you. My DH and I have what we call our personal budgets. We each get the same amount of money each week to spend on whatever personal stuff we want. All my quilting supplies comes out of my personal budget. We have also jointly agreed by how much we are allowed to temporarily overdraw our personal budgets (like for a big sale or an emergency unexpected gift) Overdraws have to be paid back. If I am making a gift for a joint friend or relative we agree to a budget ahead of time that comes out of the unusual expenses category instead of the personal budget category.

This is what works for us. Its not for everybody. We are both retired engineers so that is probably skewing our prospective. I get that we are not normal.

Addressing any quilting supplies that you acquired before he entered your life and what you do with them is not any his business.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• KPH
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

I'm thinking more of my son's 'addiction' to buying musical instruments. They have a family budget. J has an allowance, x goes into savings for his kiddie purchases. Mom and Dad have their own line items- Morgan's fun money, Jim's fun money. Jim will save his 'fun money' and buy stuff for his instrument collection. He knows what's set aside, how much is available if he didn't spend anything the month or months before. He'll save up for his goals. Only thing is, Morgan's new stipulation- any new instrument purchased, an old one has to leave!

I could shop my stash for years and a lot of what I have is from a friend that passed. There's still blenders, backings and batting to purchase. Depending on the size, long arm fees too. It still can run up into some money. I get budget constraints.

Set yourself a budget that you can live with. Fix your monthly budget and keep a tally of what you've spent and what's left over to carry over to the next month. Your partner should do the same with his 'fun' money.

My DH was supportive of my habit, after all, for years I didn't bitch about all the money he spent on toy cars. I might have rolled my eyes, but it brought him joy, so I kept my mouth shut. Bless his heart, he really thought we'd make money off of those things. Insert another eye roll here! Those cars made a lot of kids at the Salvation Army happy!

I make and I give. A. it keeps me sane, B. it seems like there are a lot of family members dealing with illnesses recently, C. there are always babies being born at church. It makes me happy to make and give. I think if you bottom line it, have a plan for a modified budget and present your case in a straight forward manner, you both can come out happier in the long run.

Then as a last resort, there's always the nanner nanner boo boo with the fingers in the ears waggling those quilty fingers and the tongue sticking out face. You can always add a raspberry to go along with it.
              Katrina
              From NC, retired in FL
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• minipinlady
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2018

My husband thinks I am a bit quick to give away my quilts. He has come to understand that the reason I quilt is to give the quilts as gifts. Quilts can not truly be appreciated just in terms of money because they are so expensive, but because of the time and care that we put in to them. I would lose interest in quilting if I was doing it for money. He mails my quilts for me so he is very good at letting the post office know their worth and insuring them. He worries more about my time invested not being fully appreciated . He does not begrudge me what I spend at fabric stores. I think a good portion of that comes from the fact I don't waste money, nor I indulge myself . Once he realized what some women spend on shoes and fake nails, lol, he sees what I spend is not that much. I just say when asked what do I charge to make a quilt, that I don't. I only make quilts as gifts because they are so expensive to make and that the time and love sewn into a quilt can not be bought. That said my husband is planning to make his own quilt when he retires, his quilt of valor. He wants it to say he gave 34 years serving and protecting Canada.
                Is it possible that it is the time you spend quilting he notices more so than the cost ? Sometimes I quilt while my husband watches tv so he doesn't feel alone. Most times tho' I find a tv distracting when sewing, unless it is a Jenny video because many I know by heart.
                Unless it evolves into a problem, I wouldn't worry it . After awhile spouses adjust and find their own things to do.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I make small projects but no more than a baby quilt for co-workers. I don't invest money, but maybe it is the time, I never thought of it that way. We're homebodies and always around the house. Thanks, that's helpful. I'm making two birthday wallhaging/tabletoppers this weekend. It does make me happy to make people things and I don't want that to change! I use what I have so it's not costing anything either.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2012

If I understand correctly, your husband/partner is only objecting when you gift a quilt to a co-worker? Does that mean that he's OK with gifting to close friends and relatives?

I love Old Newbie's advice, that "giving is PART of your hobby." So if it's only gifts to co-workers that your partner objects to, could the two of you possibly compromise by setting a maximum size of quilt for a co-worker? Perhaps crib size or lap size? That way, he'll feel you're listening to his concerns and seeking a frugal way to make you both happy.
                    Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• TMP
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2014

My late husband loved that I quilted and he never complained that I spent money on fabric, machines ect. I can't remember him objecting to me giving one as a gift. After you have been quilting for a few years it seems like they would just start to pile up if you don't give them as gifts . I also love that Old Newbie's that "giving is a part of your hobby".
                      Teresa
                      Pelham, Alabama
                      War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Patty J
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2012

All posts above contain good suggestions and ideas. My dh sometimes says that all the quilts I give had better be appreciated by those receiving them. Nothing about the cost of the hobby. He has bought me every single one of my 5 machines and one of them is a sit down quilter!! The key to any relationship is communication, you need to explain to him how important it is for you to gift your creations. That it is a stress reliever and your creative outlet. He might figure out how important your hobby is for your well-being.

Comment

• JCY
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jul 2013

My DH always has been supportive of my quilting hobby. He is in poor health; I'm his caregiver. Sewing/quilting is something I can do at home, be present with him in the house, even though I'm not necessarily in the same room. We both are retired. I also have a large stash, so I don't buy much fabric any more.

DH had his own hobby for many years -- HO model railroading. I never objected to his hobby or the $ he spent, or the time he spent in his hobby room. It was a mental health thing for him, especially the year he went through a major depression.

Could this objection to your quilting be more of a control issue? I think communication & clearing the air on this issue would be an important to do.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jan 2018

as your half of a relationship would ask why objects,
                            it could be he is not used to giving.
                            if its the time thing perhaps get him to have a go, that way your doing something together.
                            budgeting wise, yes you already have the fabric, but fabric costs whether to replace or put in stash. then there is the machine, thread, notions ect.
                            good luck lets hope can resolve. happy quilter = happy relationship.
                            🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• quiltingaway
                              Missouri Star
                              • Sep 2014

First off never take a partner to a quilt store with you Seriously my husband has always been very supportive of my quilting. In the early years however he was a little odd about gifting. I remember him once saying "Can't you just give them a quilt from Penneys?!" when I was gifting a wedding quilt. He would never say that now. I think at the time I was giving more quilts than I was keeping and he wanted us to have some. Now he is much more generous and is even quite proud when I gift a quilt. He understands that this is just part of me and my quilting and he is glad that I have a hobby that brings me joy.
                              Annie
                              "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

Working...
                              X