• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lulu
    Block Queen
    • Mar 2012

Want to buy in-home longarm machine

Hey gals & guys! Well, I have done enough research to choke a horse; and am still undecided about narrowing down the list for a longarm machine.
    Things I know I want:
    18" throat
    A good number of stiches per min (like at least 1000)
    Has stitch regulator
    Has front and back handles
    Has laser and stylist to use patterns

The frame seems to come with some of them as a package deal. I know I want it to be heavy duty i.e. steel contruction.
    Adjustable height, 4th rail for batting, and probably 10' long.

The only dealer near me sells Pfaff and Babylock.
    I went there really wanting to see the Pfaff P3 - was sorry to hear that now they're not made in Germany that quality has really dropped. He said he gets back between 25%-35% of them back for control panels - which is a minimum of a $1000 repair.
    He showed me the Babylock Crown Jewel which comes as pkg with frame - all was wonderful with lots of things included. Pkg was $9000 + tax! Yikes.
    Maybe i was dreaming but was hoping to stay under $5000 for set.

Watched several things on youtube - the Empress looked neat, but none near here.
    Juki looked good, but saw many reviews for repair on the 2000 models.
    Others also looked good but didn't have the throat space I want.

Thanks to Grandma Babbs for PM'ing w/me and her good input!

I've search internet for used set also, but none near me. Do you have one for sale?

ANY reviews you personally have had with your machine, with above criteria included on your machine would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! I NEED ADVICE!!
    I would love a dealer near here for a "go to" when needed, but he only has 2 brands he is dealer for. I am in MN near the Alexandria area. Wish I could go to the Quilt Expo in Mpls this wkend but have company coming!!!!!! Have you been to expo to try/see them and it helped you decide? Maybe I need to do a road trip to different expo!
    Thanks for help!
    Linda
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Want to buy in-home longarm machine

One thing that others have suggested in the past is talk to someone at your local quilt shop. Many times quilters that are upgrading will want to sell off their used machines and the quilt shops may know of a few.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

I do have a Pfaff, it is simple machine. I have a metal frame. It is made by Tin Lizzie. It has a few problems , but it was definitely entry level. Has a stitch regulator, I enjoy creating new quilting design. I bought some pantographs, I will try them some day when I have time. It has a laser, but not stylus. You can see something similar here.
      Top brand 18 inch long arm quilting machine with automatic stitch regulator, large bobbin and ALL NEW Inspira iQuilt Metal Quilting Frame by the Grace Company. Low blowout pricing.

Comment

• bubba
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2013

Look on Craigslist in Iowa. For some reason, I have always seen a lot of them listed there.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• lulu
          Block Queen
          • Mar 2012

Thanks for so far help . . . I was at local shop - only one shop! No used.
          Been on craigslist every day - to go to Iowa would be 4-5 hrs one way!
          Anyone have the Juki 2200???? And on what frame? I believe that is the newest Juki?

Comment

• GrammaBabs
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2010

That's the one I have my eyes on for when I feel justified to move on from the Bailey I just bought.... it's super, but not fast enough for my taste... wanted the 17",, and did not realize the faster speed was better than the larger throat,, but live and learn... speed control is a waste for my style...(funky , fast and furious... ).... my problem is getting just the machine... I have a wonderful Grace Pinnacle frame... and most "packages want to sell you the whole deal"... i'll be patient,, and check with a dealer local that sells Brother and Juki.. can't keep shocking DH with mew machines every year....
            Originally posted by lulu View Post
            Thanks for so far help . . . I was at local shop - only one shop! No used.
            Been on craigslist every day - to go to Iowa would be 4-5 hrs one way!
            Anyone have the Juki 2200???? And on what frame? I believe that is the newest Juki?
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Mchelem
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2013

I tried the juki at a quilt show an it felt rattly. Not nearly as smooth as the others.
              "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• WVGranny
                Applique Angel
                • May 2012

I have had the pfaff p3 for a year now and about 15-20 quilts have went through it and I haven't had any problems

Comment

• Genny
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  Look on Craigslist in Iowa. For some reason, I have always seen a lot of them listed there.
                  I seen one listed on Craigslist in Iowa just a few days ago. Not sure what town. Genny
                  TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• Genny
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2011

Just looked on craigslist in southeast Iowa and theres a Tin Lizzie 18 with stitch regulator and 10 ft frame for $4000. This is in Cedar Rapids. Genny
                    Last edited by Genny; November 9, 2013, 09:52 PM.
                    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

• lulu
                      Block Queen
                      • Mar 2012

Thank you all so much! Also saw one not too far, but unfamiliar - Viking/Husq 3000 - anybody have/had one or have opinion?
                      Also, I thought I really wanted a cast aluminum/steel frame vs. wood, what do you's think? i just thought it would be much sturdier.

Comment

• lulu
                        Block Queen
                        • Mar 2012

Was it the 2200 ????? That the one I would look at if I do.

Comment

• ilive2craft2
                          Missouri Star
                          • Oct 2012

I have the same setup as Jean, but mine is the Husqvarna/Viking Mega Quilter 18X8 version. Mine has a metal frame. I really like it, I just need to find more time to be in there with it. Now that the house is no longer a construction zone, maybe I can get back into the sewing zone!
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Working...
                          X