Any treadle quilters here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any treadle quilters here?

Good morning! Are there any treadle quilters here? If so, would anyone want to participate in a quilt-along?
    Attached Files

That is a very cool cabinet! I've never seen the bottom enclosed like that.

I have my grandmother's treadle but, I have to admit, I have never used it. I'm pretty certain it could still work, I just am not equipped with the knowledge to make that happen. To be honest, I don't even know if I'm coordinated enough to try to sew with it!!

This is what mine looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2004122 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2004123
    Maria
    Alberta, Canada

Comment

I have a treadle, but never used. I've got it up for sale as I want the space in the library, where it was more for looks.

I bought it on a whim and nostalgic, but reality is I love my new faster machines. Sounds like a fun idea. Good luck.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

KerieQuilts, your machine is beautiful! I have 2 treadles. I can't begin to describe what a feeling it is to sew on a treadle. The sound and motion are so soothing. Maria, it's not hard to get one going, even if it's stuck. Just get a new belt (about $6 on Amazon). Instructions for how to install one are on Youtube and where to oil the machine is easily googled. These old machines were built to last.
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

You might also want to look into a group called Treadleon. They work only with people powered machines. It's free, but you have to request to join. Lots of great info and they do do sew alongs.
          https://groups.io/g/Treadleon
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• chelea
            chelea commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes! I was able to completely refurbish my first treadle cabinet with their help. There are detailed instructions on how to take the whole machine and cabinet apart.

I have an older treadle machine, but I never use it. A relative in my first husband's family wanted it kept in the family, so I took it. I used it briefly when I first got it. I learned to sew on a treadler, but it's nothing anything interests me now. Mine has a tablecloth cover on it & a lamp as well as some of my sewing items. It's right next to my sewing table & mach. so the items are handy.

Comment

I love the idea of a treadle. I just got my first featherweight by telling my husband I'd like one for my birthday (he couldn't wait until then so I got it this week!) Maybe I should whisper a treadle hint for Christmas, lol.
            Gail, Mid-Michigan

Comment

• chelea
              chelea commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha, once you start collecting vintage machines...they're like potato chips, you can't stop with one.

I definitely have the collecting bug - I have several treadles, Singer, White, and National, and I do piece quilts on them. I also like my hand crank machines for paper piecing and small projects. I have done a little quilting on the treadles, just straight line type stitching. I never really mastered free motion on my electric machine, let alone the treadle.

What kind of quilt along did you have in mind? I might play. Kathleen
            sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
            Topics: 50
            Comments: 278

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X