Eldredge Two Spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eldredge Two Spool

Just wanted to share a fun find. (oops I did it again comes to mind) I have been on the lookout for machines I lost in the fire. Yesterday I was able to replace my Eldredge Two Spool when I found one on Offer Up! First I had to ensure that the crucial bobbin case canister was still in it - and it was! It's in a cute cabinet. It was originally electric, but has no wiring or pedal, etc. any longer. I'm not sure if I'll restore it to electric use or not - my preference is to find a treadle to put it into. I'll try an attach the seller's pic.

It's so pretty! So glad it's going to a good home!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Congratulations! Lovely decals. This machine is new to me...how old do you suppose she is?
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
        VintageGalAnnie commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi chelea! I answered below about estimating her age. These machines are so cool because instead of a bobbin below decks, there is a bobbin case that holds an entire small spool of thread!

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so very cool, wonder why that technology didn't catch on?

• VintageGalAnnie
        Editing a comment
        I've wondered at that too! We would all love larger bobbins on our favorite machines! LOL

Bonnie Hunter might know. She has a collection of vintage machines.

Comment

The two spool sewing machine was invented by R.K. Hohmann around1908 and was manufactured between 1913 and 1930, but it's difficult to date specific machines accurately as not many records remain for National/Eldredge machines. We can only extrapolate based on what info owners have collected and tabulated. I haven't had a chance to research this one much yet. There were several versions with minor differences between them that helps with that somewhat: type of thread-guide, type of canister (there were 3 different versions) and type of bobbin plate (one slid out and one pivoted). I suspect mine was made in the mid-to late 20's.
        And yes, Bonnie has a wonderful collection of vsms - she and I had some of the same machines in fact (before I lost nearly all of mine in the fire). I love how she has sung the praises of vsms on her blog.

Comment

This is the part I so enjoy about VSMs (aside from their beauty of course)...the history and the quirkiness. Some have features that are so ahead of their time, like my Willcox and Gibbs from the 1800's that has automatic tension. That bobbin case is genius.
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
            Editing a comment
            Me too! And I agree about the W&G! Gotta love that automatic tension! I love the history behind the W&G as well. How James Gibbs saw a sewing machine from the top up only, was fascinated and went home and created a design of his own, carving it out of wood first. Because he had no knowledge of the underside/bobbin area he devised a machine without a lower bobbin thread and thus was born the chainstitch!

Originally posted by VintageGalAnnie View Post
          Just wanted to share a fun find. (oops I did it again comes to mind) I have been on the lookout for machines I lost in the fire. Yesterday I was able to replace my Eldredge Two Spool when I found one on Offer Up! First I had to ensure that the crucial bobbin case canister was still in it - and it was! It's in a cute cabinet. It was originally electric, but has no wiring or pedal, etc. any longer. I'm not sure if I'll restore it to electric use or not - my preference is to find a treadle to put it into. I'll try an attach the seller's pic.

I am sorry you lost so much in a fire.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• VintageGalAnnie
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. It's been incredibly difficult. I have a hard time finding the words. We pretty much lost everything. (We got out with the basics (people, pets, photos, papers, hard drives) and some musical instruments, 3 portable sewing machines, 7 goats, and fourteen 12 week old chickens. So many dear things gone, and my kids' childhood home lost. My younger son was still living at home doing university distance learning due to Covid so he's displaced too. I'm in my mid-50's and my DH is 60...and it feels like we're starting over. Finding these machines brings me some joy though.

• chelea
            chelea commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope you're getting closer to finding a new place to call home Annie.

• VintageGalAnnie
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Chelea. I wish. It will be a while yet. Everything seem to take forever. We're staying in a small guest house on the property of neighbor-friends. They have been incredibly supportive, but I miss having our own home.

I can not imagine what you have been through. Thanks for sharing your story.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
          Topics: 48
          Comments: 253

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X