• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, I did it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My 221K - white.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1965549 OMG -- I still can't believe it. First day stores are open since Dec 24t -- so I dropped off items for donation and decided to pop in since Tuesday is seniors' day.

I walked around and clearly people have been de-cluttering during lockdown. I must have seen at least 7-8 beautiful vintage sewing machines at reasonable prices. I'm always on the lookout for a featherweight but have never seen any there.. I was walking down the luggage aisle and saw a small case on the floor. I opened it, and it was a white/bone colored Singer 221K. I pulled out -- cord and foot and belt all look new, it has bobbin case and has a sticker from a dealer servicing machines. I know they test all machines, so I knew if I didn't want to fiddle with it, I could return it. It was $24.99 but with 30% off -- it came to less than $20 incl taxes. I am over the moon.

DH cannot believe his eyes -- he wants me to shop for tools for him -- haha. I'm going to check her out and put her to use. I will post a picture once my phone is charged up. She was made in Great Britain, but I want to check out her lineage and then I will name her.
    Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; February 18, 2021, 08:20 AM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

What a wonderful "gift" you found!!! Congratulations I will look forward to seeing your purchase!!

Comment

Lucky you!

Comment

Wow! It was meant to be. You waited for so long but what a find! I know you'll enjoy sewing on that machine...there's something so sweet about the sound of a Featherweight. Can't wait to see the new baby.
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

What a terrific find!
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Wow!! That's like finding a unicorn!!! If you are on facebook, let me know and I can tell you names of a great group.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
            Editing a comment
            I am on FB but have cut back on social media a lot or I wouldn't get anything done.. I belong to a few FB groups but looking at others. Some I found were mostly there to sell.

I am so very jealous, but so very very happy for you!! What a wonderful find. Give her a name...she deserves one.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I’m jealous. Can’t believe the price. On Kijiji Featherweights have gone way up in price. $400 -$750. Enjoy it.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              I know prices these can command. Locally some were offered at $500-600 but was told to ignore them as they had issues. I would have been lucky to find a black one. DH cannot believe me when I bring home these treasures -- always been a great shopper.

What a find! I'm so jealous. LOL!
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Our guild started a feather weight Bee group last year. What a bargain you found!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Editing a comment
                A lot of our members have featherweights and many of the ladies at my retreats bring their new machines as well as their featherweight.

UPDATE -- here is a picture of my new baby and its case. I've been researching it --it was built in Clydebank / Kilbowie, Scotland plant and these hard leather cases were actually manufactured in St-Jean-sur-le-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada. I have also included a stock photo. Unfortunately mine did not come with accessories or feet.

Name:	My 221K - white.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1965403

Name:	221K-.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1965404 Click image for larger version

Name:	221kv - 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1965405 Click image for larger version

Name:	221K - 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1965406

I haven't been able to find its birthdate as I cannot distinguish the first letter of the serial number -- looks like a E or F or P or R -- then A099900. I find the number interesting -- was it the first off the assembly line ? used as demonstrator ? it hardly has any usage. I think these were made in the mid-60s to 1970. I think I am enjoying the research just as much if not more than the actual machine. I didn't think I appreciated history quite that much -- oh well -- live & learn.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

What a beauty, and so interesting! I enjoy the research too. With all my "old girls", I wonder who the previous owner was and what she (? he) sewed. If only they could talk...
                Suzanne, check The Featherweight Shop's section on dating your Singer. There's some interesting info on the white machines and the prefix. I think you'll be able to narrow down the birthdate.
                Last edited by chelea; February 17, 2021, 05:39 PM.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  I have watched a lot of the Featherweight Shop's video. Very informative. Again -- can't find there the serial number. There seems to be a <snobbiness> against the white FW on one site I was on. Almost had me thinking I got a bad deal -- then realized they were pushing to sell their black FW.

• chelea
                  chelea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Suzanne, here's the link to the Featherweight Shop's dating your FW page:

https://singer-featherweight.com/blogs/schoolhouse/dating-your-featherweight-machine

Scroll way down past the black machines and there's a separate section about the white and tan machines and a note about machines made in Canada. It says that there are FA prefixes for the white/tan ones.
                  Last edited by chelea; February 18, 2021, 12:06 PM.

I'm a Featherweight junkie. Found this article which you might have already seen Suzanne. It is thorough and does show the case you have. https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...herweight-221k
                “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes this is the site where I got the stock pictures and info on my case which was made in Quebec.

VERY LUCKY indeed.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

congratulations on your find!
                  looks like hardly used😁👍
                  not seen a white belt or a bag like that before.

The featherweights like most machinery were adapting and changing with the times. There is no best or worst, they still create a stitch
                  There is a joke about a certain model of a ford car, came in every paint colour as long as it was black🤭.
                  If no singer 221 manual there is one in this book.
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Featherweight-221-Perfect-Portable-Stitches/dp/1607052636/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=featherweight+book&qi d=1613746570&sr=8-4
                  there is also some featherweight history in first half.
                  enjoy your new baby
                  T

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                Topics: 47
                Comments: 239

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X