Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to fettle a treadle link

Happy New Year everyone,
    Have been looking about 'the online' and found Helens site full of vintage info, and thought you all may want to browse 'how to fettle a treadle' http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/tutorials/treadlefettle.html
    while does not mention grade of grease, anything lubricating except maybe water pump grease. Grease or oil is better than metal against metal, grinding away at each other.
    (water pump grease was used in 1940's it is sticky very thick, it's grand for applying collets to valves making them stick before the spring settles but be a bit thick for ball bearings).
    Just been reading up on grease, ๐Ÿ˜ฎ heck there are 2 two meanings of grease, one is for moving parts and another to deflect water for example these are termed as grease normal heavy duty, copper, lithium, silicone, dielectric, food grade, carbon conductive, graphite, ceramic, even a grease for spark plug leads, probably many more, is goose fat, lard, vaseline termed as a grease too?.

Considering the treadle is not so modern, perhaps just a normal non silicone non lithium, will do, like they used on steam rollers and automobiles of the time ๐Ÿ˜ƒ.

Think it be wise for me to have just one grease, that could be used in the electrical motor on the featherweight as well as the treadle.
    From recent research that's not easy to find in UK, One sewing company person contacted said to use singer oil in a electrical motor, as we know that is a big no!!!! so will keep looking for a low melt point grease for featherweight electric motor. I do not treadle so fast to over heat grease ๐Ÿ˜‚ but perhaps will grease using what have for car bearings until find the one.

(fettle is a word (used in Yorkshire) meaning tinker, fiddle, or mend)
    just for laughs will include 'twiddle stick' another word for teaspoon in our family, lol. although often wondered if was a west riding word.
    have a great day, sorry for long posting.
    hugs T

Thank you thank you thank you. Timing couldn't be more perfect for me. About 6 months ago I saw a Singer Treadle in a thrift-store (Model 66K built in 1914 - Scotland). Last month, DH and I went back to the same store and she was still there collecting dust and even though I really don't have room for another sewing machine, I just couldn't leave the poor girl there. While I don't expect to restore her to her original beauty, I think I can clean her up and make her functional again.

Comment

congratulations on your new to you machine, enjoy your fettling tinkering and cleaning up๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ loved mine, watching the bobbin area go back and forth was always a wonder. both went to new homes in the down sizing๐Ÿ˜ฅ but himself has his 99k, ๐Ÿ˜.
      here is another link there are many on the right side on the 66
      https://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/search/label/singer%2066%20cleaning

enjoy T

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
      Topics: 47
      Comments: 239

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X