Willcox and Gibbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willcox and Gibbs

Click image for larger version  Name:	iE856LXTRSK%P%GmSCCeBg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	1941901 Click image for larger version  Name:	h5QyUBOcT22ys4PjTGw3GA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	1941903 Click image for larger version  Name:	9pPztyKVSLaIWUR7awB1pw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	1941905 Several months ago I let a Singer 24 get away. This time, same consignment shop, I didn't hesitate. Meet Eleanor, c. 1891. The Willcox and Gibbs story is fascinating. Alex Askaroff, who has a fantastic vintage sewing machine site called Sewalot (his story is also fascinating) wrote a book about W&G. Anyway, this machine is very special to me because James Gibbs is from Rockbridge county in VA, where my DD lives, and the W&G sewing machines were made in Rhode Island by Brown and Sharpe. RI is where I was born and raised. I just love these vintage beauties and love to research their history.

Eleanor is in great shape. Cabinet and cast iron legs in near perfect condition, no rust anywhere, veneer intact. So it was just a matter of cleaning up a bit. She was frozen but that didn't concern me. I found the manual online, saw where the oiling points were, tried a little sewing machine oil first. No go, so out came the kerosene which took a couple hours to work. It was so exciting when the wheel started to turn. The old leather belt is still working fine. Can't wait for the needles I ordered to arrive. She sews a chainstitch so is very quiet, in fact it was marketed as "The Silent Sewing Machine".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chelea; November 24, 2020, 02:43 PM.
    Michele
    ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Be still my beating heart ! She's gorgeous! What a wonderful find.

Comment

What a beauty! I'm glad she's found a good home!
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

You lucky girl! I'm sure you are doing the happy dance.
        Karen
        Spring, TX

Comment

That's a real beauty in great condition. Let us see the stitch once you get the needles, please.

Comment

Oh my, my heart just jumped a beat! She’s a beauty!
            💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

WOW she is a beauty.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Awesome find, congratulations!
                sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

She is stunning!! I couldn't let her pass either. Wow!! Great find!
                  Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Good on you! Congrats on your find! What kind of needles will you be using and where did you find them? congrats again!

Comment

The needles are W&G chain stitch by Groz-Beckert. I found them on eBay. They do look quite a bit different from a modern needle.

Michele

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	eeGDQKslTSWQV7HrHiOPTQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	1943160 Click image for larger version  Name:	6VRJFPOhTE2SKdsPczVk1g.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	1943162

Here is the chain stitch, front and back. It almost looks decorative on the back. One of the features of this machine is an automatic tension, believe it or not, so this is how the stitch looked right out of the gate. And it's SO quiet.
                        There's a technique to stopping so it doesn't unravel. Once you get the hang of it, it's not difficult. The seam is very secure so I wouldn't hesitate to use it for piecing. I think I'll try an apron as a first project.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by chelea; November 29, 2020, 01:22 PM.
                        Michele

Comment

Oh that is such a beautiful machine. Congratulations on finding it and getting it working again. It makes such pretty stitches. I would understand if you don't want to answer this but could I ask how much you paid for it?

Comment

• chelea
                            chelea commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It was new to the consignment shop so I paid full price ($225) and it was sold as-is because it wasn't running.

• jjkaiser
                            jjkaiser commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you. She is such a pretty machine. Have fun sewing on it!

Oh she is a beauty. Congratulations. I know you will enjoy her and will be able to add your own stories.
                          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

That's a beautiful machine. I've never seen one like that. I like the pedal!

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                            Topics: 48
                            Comments: 253

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X