My latest treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest treasure

I found a machine on ebay that I couldn't resist. 1901 Singer 24-2 hand crank, chainstitch machine in it's original bentwood case. All cleaned up and sewing a beautiful stitch. It never ceases to amaze me how these old machines, often having been neglected for years (case definitely shows signs of having been chewed by a mouse at one point, and has a small hole in it's top) will sew off after a good cleaning and oiling like brand new. This is the first chainstitch machine I have owned, so happy to have it in my collection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 24-2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1933625
    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

This is quite a beauty & to get the Bentwood case along with it is a real treasure.

Comment

Wowwww....beautiful. Reminds me of the Singer 24 treadle that got away from me a few months ago. Still haunts me, lol. Enjoy!
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Am I jealous, or what? Congratulations, what a beautiful machine.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

NICE find.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Oh my gosh that machine is gorgeous! I have a 15-91 and realized I wasn't using it that much even though it was all set up and ready. I loaded it with black thread, my Janome is loaded with white and I find I am using it much more often now whenever I need dark thread for anything.

Comment

Oh my. She is a beauty. What a treasure you found. I know you will enjoy it, a lot.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Gorgeous! Enjoy!!!

Comment

Just a dumb question -- when you operate your machine and its a handcrank. Do you have to keep turning it as you sew? That would be difficult if you are also trying to guide the fabric.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Cowgirl quilter
                    Cowgirl quilter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I sew quite often on a 99k with hand crank. I always thought it would be difficult until I tried it, and it’s actually fun and easy. I think it’s because you are controlling the speed of the machine as you crank. The feed dogs are supposed to move the fabric through, so all I have to do is gently keep things traveling straight. I especially love using it for paper (foundation) piecing.

My experience is the same - I thought it would be tricksy too, but the feed dogs carry the material along and all you have to do is guide it to keep it straight. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be! And its wonderful how much control you have - nice for fiddly things.

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                  Topics: 45
                  Comments: 199

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X