• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cowgirl quilter
    Applique Angel
    • Jan 2016

Unusual Singer 128

I recently bought this pretty Singer 128, 1919 model, for the pretty LaVincendora decals. Found out I have a special one, as it runs with a hand lever, which I had never seen before. I published pictures on a vintage sewing machine site, and learned it is probably one of the first models with control of this kind, which later developed into the knee control. One smart member even found me a copy of an original patent showing this control. The seller tells me it belonged to her mother in law, who was crippled by polio as a teen, and went on to live a full life, and sewed many things for her family and house with this machine.

These machines are so fun to learn about.
    It is clean and sewing, although the switch is worn, so it goes "from 0 to 60" without much in between, so sews really fast. If I make something on it (as I usually try to do with each machine I collect), it will have to be long straight seams! And yes, I will use my other hand to run the controls, but needed my right to hold camera.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964[2711].jpg
Views:	375
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1930268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969[2709].jpg
Views:	305
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1930269
    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.
  • MHG Winnower
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2015

What a beauty!!! I am also a collector of these beautiful vintage machines, but have been selling a few off trying to downsize a bit. Never saw one with a handlever. Enjoy and pet her often! Thank you so very much for posting your good fortune.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2016

I'm drooling! She's lovely.

Comment

• Monique
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

She is a beauty.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• chelea
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

So fun! Enjoy, she's beautiful.
          Michele
          ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
          To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• GuitarGramma
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

Beautiful Singer! My mom had a vintage Singer. She rarely throws anything away, so someday I may find it when I am helping her to organize her house.
            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
            Topics: 55
            Comments: 324

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X