Green Singer sewing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Singer sewing machine

I just couldn't leave her there, in the store, in her case, unloved and obviously abandoned.

Without a second thought, I carried her to the cashier with a 20% off coupon, and home she came. I plugged her in, light came on and she hums. She's been neglected and need a bath (good cleaning) and grooming (oiling). Her case has a moldy smell, which I will treat, but in the meantime it is airing outside in the fresh air. A winter project, as I don't really need another machine right now.

I still need to research her lineage-- Singer made in Canada, but there is no obviously number plate as all machines usually have. She looks 1950-1960s, but who knows. I love her color and it is in very good condition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Singer.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1927740

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

If it's smaller than the standard vintage models but larger than a Featherweight it looks like it may be a 185 or 285. Don't know until you look underneath ... and that's where the serial number will be, too. Here's a reference link.

Fun machine that takes standard needles. Free manuals are available online. Congratulations!

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/185 (cut & paste)

Comment

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
      If it's smaller than the standard vintage models but larger than a Featherweight it looks like it may be a 185 or 285. Don't know until you look underneath ... and that's where the serial number will be, too. Here's a reference link.

Fun machine that takes standard needles. Free manuals are available online. Congratulations!

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/185 (cut & paste)
      Looks like a 185 which was produced in England. I have one; she is lovely and sews beautifully. Came in a cabinet, but that needs refinishing. Enjoy!
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Enjoy your new machine. No doubt she will be loved in her new home.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thanks Judy -- I found the number etched under the machine. It does say on the top that it is made in Canada, but who knows. So I will have some fun tonight doing some research.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer #.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	694.5 KB
ID:	1927856Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer Canada.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1927857 .

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
            Judy, USMC commented
            Editing a comment
            Sent you a message!

She's beautiful

Comment

I remember seeing one like that or similar. My dad sold Singer sewing machines when I was growing up.

Comment

Thank you for rescuing such a great little machine. Let us know what you learn about it- research is part of the fun of old machines.
              sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Congratulations on a great find!
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Hi Suzanne, Nice find! If it was made in Canada it is a 185J between 1958 and 1963 (the 285K was made in England- Kilbowie)
                  It was the successor to the 99. I had one just like it, it was my very first vsm. Unfortunately I just lost it and several others in the Bobcat fire here in So Cal. It's a fun little machine and a workhorse much like the 99.
                  Kim

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                    Claire Hallman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So sorry those terrible fires have caused you losses. They have been devastating.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm so sorry that you lost your machine. So much devastation, and it can take years to rebuild and replace what you lost. Sending hugs your way.

Not sure I'm posting in the right place, but thank you for the kind words. Our home completely burned to the ground. We weretwere able to get the 5 P's out: People, Pets/Livestock, Pictures, Papers/hardrives, and Prescriptions. And 2 handcranks and my Featherweight. So many irreplaceable heirlooms left behind... Not to mention about 20 vintage sewing machines. It's been a horrible two weeks, but we have been uplifted and humbled by the outpouring of support from friends and neighbors. We are staying with neighbor-friends for now. It's just one day at a time - every day so much to do and handle. Trying to get our goats back to our place, fencing put up, etc. Overwhelming at times but we just keep plugging on - it's all we can do. We have State Farm insurance and they have been fantastic so far.
                  back on topic, Singer made cabinets for their 3/4 sized machines and if you keep an eye out you might be able to find one. They usually have a 99 in them, but if there's no machine in the cabinet just get the seller to measure the distance between the hinges.

Comment

• chelea
                    chelea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My heart goes out to you. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to lose so much. Thank the good Lord you and your animals are safe.
                    Last edited by chelea; October 3, 2020, 12:20 PM.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am so sorry to hear of your devastating losses. I cannot even begin to imagine how you must feel. I am happy to hear that you managed to save some items, but years of collecting and family heirlooms cannot be replaced. I am sending you best wishes of courage and perseverance as you rebuild your lives. Hugs from across the miles.

• 201 Treadler
                    201 Treadler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So sorry to hear your devastating news, am so pleased you got out, sending virtual hugs to you and family.
                Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                Topics: 44
                Comments: 186

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X