Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1902434Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1902435

Today I spotted a treadle sewing machine at VV. The cabinet is in good shape, and it seems to move pretty good. It came with a box of accessories, an old oil can, manual, extra shuttle bobbins and vintage notions. I snapped pictures and DH suggested we go pick it up. It's a Regent and has a serial number on it. The manual does not provide any information on its manufacturer. I have done some on-line research and the best I've been able to assume is that it was made by The Royal Sewing Machine Company in the UK. They don't seem to have records providing the serial numbers and year of manufacturing.

i've checked the usual website, and come up with zilch. Any help in dating my machine that I will call 'Amelie' would be appreciated.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Good find. I am a little jealous though, lol.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Beautiful machine and cabinet! ......I guess I’ve joined the jealous club too 😿
    💫 Star lover

Comment

What a beauty. You might try contacting this group or joining. Doesn't cost; I've been a member for some time now. They are folks with incredible knowledge regarding people powered sewing machines. http://www.treadleon.net/
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for this link. I think I will find many a kindred soul.

While scouring the web, I found some references to this treadle, but records by the company are not posted.

I did did find a handwritten note in the manual this morning - machine was purchased in October 1911.
      Attached Files

Comment

Suzanne ~ What a beautiful find! I have an old treadle machine in my sewing room which I use as a table. I haven't opened it in years. I used to sew on it eons ago. (Growing up at home, I learned to sew on a treadle.) This one was in my first husband's family. They wanted it kept in the family. You found a real treasure. You might get some answers about yours from Bonnie Hunter. She collects old machines & is very knowledgeable.

Comment

She's a beauty! Around here it's difficult to find both machine and cabinet in such good condition.
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

it's beautiful. You are so lucky. I've been wanting one of them for years
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Lucky you, to find a note dating the purchase of your machine!

I am almost certain that your Regent machine was made by the National Sewing Machine Company. National made lots of "branded" sewing machines - basically any store or company could purchase machines with their name on them. Here are a couple of links - the brand Regent is on the list. needlebar.org/main/makers/usa/national/index.html As for type of machine, try this one: http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php?title=National_Vibrating_Shuttle_Machine s Dating National machines is tricky - your note is your best source.

Treadleon.net is awesome, you will find lots of great resources there. They also list TOGA's (get togethers for treadle and hand crank enthusiasts) and have TOBE's (Block exchanges) that are fun. They have a group on groups.io with lots of discussions and files available.

Congratulations on your great find!

sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Beautiful machine and cabinet.
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

beautiful machine and cabinet, amazing history that machines been through and still looks fairly new at 109!! years
                  😁 happy treadling 😁

Comment

It is a beauty. What a treasure!

Jeannette

Comment

According to this website, the Regent was manufactured by the Royal sewing machine co.

https://sewalot.com/Royal_sewing_machine_sewalot.htm
                      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I found that many of these machines were made for the T. Eaton company, through catalogue sales across Canada. I found a 1909 catalogue in archives that has a similar machine iron base and woodwork, but they called this one Seamstress. I think it was made year before mine. It sold for $30 back then. I think the thing I find enjoyable is preserving a piece of history and going back to simpler life.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Count me in on the Jealous Club.....I have my Grandmother's sewing machine and cabinet, but the machine was left in my dad's garage for 30+ years before my dad gave her to me. (I named her Frances after my beloved Paternal Grandma.) I'm sure it would cost a fortune to have the machine reworked, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do, I'd love to hear from anyone. I've thought about trying to find a machine (It's a Capitol or Capital) brand machine. My dad purchased it for grandma, but not sure of the year he purchased "Frances" the sewing machine. My parents took care of GMA/GPA from 1946 (the year my parents were married) until my grandparents passed, grandpa in 1958 & grandma in 1963. After 1966, the machine was put into the garage where it stayed until 1992, the year we moved across town and about 2 miles away from my parents. I was so pleased my dad gave me the sewing machine and would love to get it working, but it's probably not worth it I assume(??) None of my kids, nieces/nephews are that interested in Antiques and I would be so sad it I spent the time and money haven't her restored, and she ended up being sold for $5 at an auction after my death (which who knows(?) I could live for another 20-30 yrs!!) although I would be curious to know an approximate figure as to how much it would cost to restore her. IF any of you know of someone in the Michigan area that restores sewing machines like these, please let me know.
                          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                            Editing a comment
                            I took a class $30 to learn to maintain vintage machines. I brought my 1923 99 Singer I had picked up at home sale. We learned how to clean, take it apart without fear, oil and get it going. All the parts were intact, as I'm sure your machine has. I would start slowly, wiping it down with damp rag, don't use harsh products. On the silver parts, I have an Eco friendly cleaner that I used with soft rag. Mineral oil and soft rag to remove first layers of grime. Go slow. There are excellent videos. If I figure ipt out, I will try to post links.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                            Editing a comment
                            Even if no one wants it after you pass, you should enjoy it in your lifetime.
                        Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                        Topics: 41
                        Comments: 158

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X