Vintage Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at The Royal Ruby treadle in cabinet

I'm going Saturday to look/ buy this treadle. What I've researched is that it was made in England by the Jones company. The ones I have seen are not in a cabinet but in a carry cabinet so I'm not sure if this one has been altered over the years. They do show a box of Singer accessories, but I don't think these are original to machine.

It will be an early rise and hour drive to get in to get the opportunity to buy this. Don't know if others going are interested in this or other antiques / collectibles in this home. DH is afraid to come with me as he has seen many items he may be tempted with.

If anyone knows anything about this machine, let me know. Thanks.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Very pretty little machine. If it is made by Jones it could have originally come in a treadle cabinet like that - I have seen Jones machines in treadle cabinets. It also reminds me of German made machines which copied and improved upon the Singers, in which case those attachments might work on it after all. I can't see the presser foot well enough to tell what kind of feet it takes. The most important thing to look for if you can, is the shuttle and at least one bobbin (hopefully a few). A shuttle and long bobbins for a Jones might be difficult to come by. That's why some prefer Singers - any missing bits and bobs are easy to come by. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Suzanne
      theres some general info in thurdays morning post,
      looking around the web found lots of info from Alex Askaroff https://sewalot.com/jones_sewing_machines.htm
      http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/Jones%20Lab...20machines.htm confirms is a jones all the names are listed. but
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Ya9aRwAzk its sounds nice but seems to be older than your picture example.
      https://tightacres.blogspot.com/2016...oyal-ruby.html mentions some history
      regarding the Bradbury connection, am not sure if the Jones is the same, to wind a bobbin, ye flip a piece of metal in the balance wheel centre and treadle so the balance wheel goes backwards, will pop a photo of brad in the album for comparison.
      hope this helps
      T

Comment

Thanks ladies for all your info. I'm always fascinated by the history of these old machines.

I'm on the fence. I may not even have a chance to get it as it is - first in, first to pay who gets it. So it can be a mad dash. Since it's an hour away, I will have to consider given the snowfall we have had. Now this sale had a lot of beautiful old items, a Dutch cuckoo clock and a grand-daughter mantle clock that also interested me. Dh saw some camera items but he said he will pass. Not up to it physically.

One more night to think about it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

read Alex's blog last night wow, love the history as well, and the engineering, had no idea the Queen was given a 201, or the past royal connections to other brands. that is in the index, thank you for asking about this machine, have had lots of fun learning.
          there is a tale of a lady, mentioning the singer brand on the wireless, singer had a very good month!
          good luck if do go, there will be other treadles, got mine from an online selling site, Bonnie Hunter often releases the machine on her antique adventures
          have a great day
          T

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
          Topics: 41
          Comments: 158

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X