Vintage Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have you sewn on your treadle??

This is my 2017 quilt I made for my G/d wedding. She loves it.. everything but the fancy stitch on the border was done using my Treadle machine. ** I just copy and paste the url since photos are not easily posted in the "thread" section here.**

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/al...hmentid=152037
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

For the past year everything I have made has been on vintage machines, mostly treadle and hand crank, although I still prefer my trusty 201 electric for denim, and one of this year’s projects was a huge denim quilt made out of a cowboy friend’s jackets and shirts. Still need to quilt that one - I have put it off until after Christmas. You are welcome to check my album for pictures.
    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Thanks for the post.. I'll be checking your album for ideas..
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I haven't used my machine yet, but I plan to start this winter.

We did go to a quilt store out of town that has a basement full of vintage machine, many industrial, but also vintage ones. The owners buy up companies as they close - machines, fabrics and stock. They Los buy end runs of car & airline manufacturers upholstering fabrics. You could spend days there. I saw a few treadles that would need work to get them going, so when I'm ready I may go back.

I checked out your albums. Beautiful quilts.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I haven't sewn more than one straight line on my treadle.
          Bubba (Pat) helped me find it through one of her friends. It needs some love to be restored. I have the machine out of the cabinet to clean. The cabinet needs to be refinished as the top was used as a plant stand and they messed up the top layer of plywood. It is pretty dirty too. I was going to refinish it myself, but I'm contemplating sending the cabinet out to be done. Then I can finish working on the machine myself since it's almost done.
          I'm hoping to get her up and running this year.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I've not done any piecing on my treadle but have used it for quilting. It feels more "open" than my newer machines so I find it much easier. I only do straight lines and the machine came with the attachment for spacing your lines.
            Toggpine, I restored my machine this past summer. The interior workings were fine, just a little clean-up was needed. I tried the cleaner from the Featherweight Shop on the finish but it started to lift the decals so I went the gentle route and used sewing machine oil. The cabinet itself was intact, no water stains and the veneer was in perfect condition, but it was so covered in oil (including the wrought iron legs) it was alligator-ing. In hindsight I should probably have cleaned it as best I could and left it alone, as it turned into a days-long, messy process. I stripped the entire cabinet and base with CitriStrip, used a General Finishes stain and top coat, spray painted the base and finished up with some of this for the gold highlights (it was super easy to use):
            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
            The whole project turned out great but I wouldn't do it again.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Chelea,
              I found a group on the web that has great advice on restoring/cleaning treadles. I used the sewing machine oil and a diluted solution of the dairy detergent I use in my milking equipment. It's designed to cut through butter fat and will soften the crusty oil.

My problem will be with the wood and the trashed veneer. Now, my husband could do it. In all honesty, it's not his area of expertise, but he has the equipment to do it. He does structural repair work on boats. It's very much like the shoemaker's kids being barefoot.
              The curved piece under the treadle is disgustingly dirty too. I vacuumed it, but it's years of dust melded with oil. I'm thinking that since it's going on 3 years, I should really take it somewhere to be done.
              I'd also like it to be a lighter color rather than the dark walnut, but I won't get too picky if it saves me some $ to not have the whole thing refinished.
              The legs are in fine shape after I wiped the dust off, so that's not a worry.

I'm glad that you got yours all finished and are sewing on it!

Comment

Toggpine, was the group called TreadleOn? That site was very helpful. I watched so many tutorials and read tons of blogs before I disassembled my machine. I think if I were in your shoes and could afford to have it done by someone else I would go that route. It's fun by sooo time consuming.
                Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Yes. I believe it was. They had some links to other places with excellent tutorials and advice.

I'm pretty thrifty, and I'd like to do it myself, but I'm also becoming more realistic about what I can really accomplish now that I'm working again.
                  I want it to not only be functional, but look good, as this could end up being a piece of furniture that's not just tucked away. If the rest of the cabinet was trashed too, I'd just do it myself and make it look clean and functional.
                  It's not, so I'm going to put some of my dollars I have squirreled away for fabric into making it pretty again. My stash could stand to be reduced anyhow!

Comment

I haven't made anything with mine yet. It needs work to get it working. The cabinet isn't in too bad shape. The veneer is a bit chippy in just a couple places. The machine itself looks pretty good but the wheel is a bit stiff. I will check out that Treadle On site and hopefully get her working again. And my sis wound up getting her mil's treadle now that they moved into a bigger place and have the room. I saw it when I went over last week. The manufacturer is Free. I haven't been able to find a site for that brand where we can actually date the machine yet.
                    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Ginny - have you discovered ismacs.net yet? Lots of information there on the old machines. Unfortunately my other favorite source (Needlebar) lost all of its photos in a computer upgrade of some kind - thousands of photos that were so helpful in determining the model and dates of machines. So sad.

By the way, for lovers of the old Singer machines, a man named Ken Giles has developed an app for your phone that lets you enter the Singer (letter + number) serial numbers and it gives you model, date, number produced. Available for both Android and iPhone. I have for some time kept a browser window open on the ismacs Singer dating chart page, but this is much simpler and faster. Look for “SingerSerialDB “ app.
                      sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

So nice to find a vintage machine group here! I sew almost everything on my treadle(s). My go-to is my Singer 15-30. Most recently I did a quilt for my parents and table runners for family members for Christmas and tons of bowl cozies. Initially I was very intimidated and it took a lot of practice to feel comfortable and confident that I could sew a straight line much less maintain 1/4" seams. Now it's easy-peasy and a find that I prefer sewing on my treadles over my "tailed" machines. My other treadles are a Davis Vertical Feed, a Willcox & Gibbs chainstitch, and a Singer 66 red eye in a parlor cabinet. I also have a New Home that I am refurbishing.

Comment

gosh sewn on the treadle everything in album except the purple chair that was started on the ms2522 before that went puff, bang, blow. then was finished with a 128, and the quacker quilt which was quilted on the featherweight in the middle of a rugby field powered by solar panels and inverter.
                          clicked and watched this when on tellyhttps://www.qvcuk.com/Cubii-Jnr-Seat...1.html?sc=SRCH when show what muscled using,thought treadling uses same muscles,well worth treadling me thinks
                          hugs T

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                          Topics: 44
                          Comments: 190

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

• KPH
                            My Secret Santa box has arrived.
                            by KPH
                            Just Lyn, Thanks so much. I appreciate all of the hard work you have done. That's an amazing Advent Calendar. I can't wait to see the kids again to show...
                            November 19, 2020, 03:06 PM
                          • KPH
                            Secret Santa Arrivals
                            by KPH
                            Alrighty, for the sake of my nerves... I know one of the rules is to send me the tracking numbers. All well and good, but when your package arrives. Would...
                            November 12, 2020, 08:39 AM
                          • Monique
                            It has arrived
                            by Monique
                            My parcel from Chris has arrived and mine is on an airplane headed to her. WOOHOO!!

I will fondle it gently when I pick it up and then put...
                            November 10, 2020, 03:38 AM
                          • KPH
                            New Leader needed for 2021
                            by KPH
                            We're reaching that point, of thinking about 2021 SS. I hope someone will step up and be the moderator for next year. I have all of the letters and files...
                            November 1, 2020, 01:41 PM
                          • KPH
                            November and December's Themes
                            by KPH
                            Just in case you didn't remember....

November- Santa Claus Or Christmas Trees by Ginny B

December- Flying Geese Or Scrappy,...
                            October 31, 2020, 08:54 AM
                          Working...
                          X