Vintage Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing dried oil

I'm in the process of cleaning up a 1910 Singer 27. It's in great shape mainly because the previous owner preserved it with sewing machine oil. It appears she/he repeatedly coated the entire machine, cabinet and wrought iron legs with oil, so much that it caused the finishes to alligator. I'm now trying to remove the oil (which looks like large yellow scales that are hardened like shellac) from the wrought iron legs using Krud Cutter, but it's slow going. Have you tried any other de-greasers and had good luck?
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Check out https://singer-featherweight.com/
    Lots to look at here. Currently there is a series on rebuilding a featherweight. They are happy to answer your question via email also.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm asking about removing hardened oil from wrought iron on a treadle machine
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I was going to suggest Goo-Gone or Murphy's Soap Oil. These are gentle enough not to remove any finish. I would use pieces of soft t-shirts.

Now, don't laugh but my MIL would use a smooth peanut butter to rub on surfaces to remove gunk. Natural, and I guess it smells good while you are cleaning it. There are natural oils.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
        Topics: 45
        Comments: 209

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X