Vintage Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Singer 99 (1925)

I recently acquired a Singer 99 with a knee lever in very good condition. The case is in good shape and the key works and hold the case closed. I've been googling and learn all I can about it. It came with the manual, original box, attachments and extra bobbins. I will need to replace the power cord as it is frayed and I don't want to risk fire. I also want to learn about refinishing with new decals.

I have a few questions -

First, would this machine have also come with a foot pedal as well as the knee lift? I can't see where it would connect. I suspect it might have had one as there is a metal clip in the cover which looks like it could have stored one.
    Second, I read about people converting to hand crank. Does this mean it would run without power, and how?

Thanks everyone.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

https://www.vintagesingerparts.com/c...9-parts?page=2
    This site shows a foot control for your type of machine. Wish I knew something about these!
    sigpic

Comment

It looks like your 99 has a spoked wheel, so converting to hand crank is simple. You’ll need a hand crank - I have a Chinese made one on mine, they have mixed reviews, but mine works just fine. I got mine from Cindy Peters, who checked them out before selling, but she passed this year so you would have to find a reliable source. There are authentic Singer ones out there, but expect to pay $50 to $100 for one - the Chinese ones run around $15 to $20. To attach you remove the screw that holds the motor on your machine and they screw in place, a finger through the wheel turns the machine. It’s fun, and easier than it sounds. I love mine for foundation piecing and patchwork blocks.

I don’t think 99s came with both knee bar and foot pedal but sounds like you can convert it. Mine was originally a knee bar, but it was no longer there, so I removed the electrics. It is my understanding that the bracket in the lid held a Singer accessories box (the green cardboard one). There is also a bracket for a small oil can. My case had been stripped of these, but I’ve seen pictures of them.
      sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Just looked at your picture again and maybe your hand wheel is solid. You need a spoked one for a hand crank. There are reproductions out there or originals aren’t too hard to find, and changing them isn’t too hard, either. Lots of YouTube videos out there to show you how.
        sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

congratulations on your new to you 99
          the decals are water slide decals and are interesting to apply, they need a clear coat of protection over top if you decide to renew.
          There some interesting info here about the process https://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/20...-it-works.html
          looking at your serial number picture, the bolt to the right of the stitch length adjustment knob, is the one you remove to attach the handcrank. ebay has some hand cranks
          The knee lift may actually be the pedal to operate the motor
          if not, can also get new pedals on ebay if the socket has the 3 pins https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...pedal&_sacat=0
          led light bulbs https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+machine+pedal
          hope your sewing on her soon
          T

Comment

Thanks T
            The knee lift works nicely and after mich though I do t think I want to convert to foot peddle or hand crank. I want to keep it original.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Hi Suzanne, I'm glad to hear you say that. I like knee-levers personally. (My Necchi BU has one, as does my Singer 301) I find them easy to use and they don't travel all over our hard floors like foot pedals do, lol. But to each his own of course, I know a lot of peeps like their foot pedals. The other thing is I figure there's less to go wrong with a knee-lever, and less wiring to go bad. Just a thought. Enjoy your new find! 99's are so cute and great little workhorse machines!

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
              Topics: 45
              Comments: 203

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X