Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions Please

https://vintagesewingmachinegarage-blog.tumblr.com/

I have been looking at machines for awhile. Found two at an antique shop from the 1940's. The thing is you never really know how these machines run or if they will for very long. Found this site from You Tube videos on vintage machines. Very informative I believe. Tell me what you think. Has anyone dealt with this site?
    sigpic

That’s one I hadn’t run across, and I have spent a lot of time running down links on the internet, and have learned a lot. Are you asking about it as a learning resource or wanting to buy from that sight? I notice that the last blog post is from 2013, so not sure how current the sales list would be. Bloggers have a way of disappearing, though their posts remain. Prices don’t seem super high for refurbished machines, if they are current.

Personally I like to buy cheap ones and clean them up - fits my limited budget much better and I learn something with each machine I work on. Most of mine are treadle or hand crank, the few motorized ones didn’t have motor problems or bad wiring so I haven’t had to work on them. Will decide if I want to cross that bridge if and when I come to it. I question my ability, but I would have told you a year ago that I couldn’t take apart and repair an old machine, and I have successfully done several now with information from the internet.
    sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

Thank you, I guess I just wanted to be more informed. After going back and looking I did notice the blog was outdated. See lots on Ebay, but always a little unsure of purchasing. It does seem that most featherweights sell for 400+. Maybe I just don't know but that seems a bit expensive to me. I am mechanically inclined so repair is something I may think about. Not cheap, just don't want to spend that much money unless absolutely necessary. I need a good portable machine and would much prefer a vintage. Also looking at 301's
      sigpic

Comment

Carolyn, if you are able start going to thrift stores, and estate sales, even garage sales, You can take advantage of these machines usually for a much cheaper rate. And let me clarify your worries of the machine not lasting long. Today we are in a “Made in China” society were stuff breaks beyond economical service or repair. Most machines made in The USA pre 1965 are going to be good machines that outlast us, as long a s we take care of them. You see, back in the day, a sewing machine would cost around $200, and the cabinet would be that price and upwards. The machine was an expensive thing back in the day, and therefore very well taken care of as it clothed many in each household. Your fears of it not running long need not be. Today you may spend $400 on a brand new machine and it may last you 10-20 years. Those that purchase the $4000 machines will take them in for service and usually take very good care of them. I have never heard of a nice looking featherweight that did not work. If they have cosmetic issues, then they may have been forgotten in storage, water damaged, etc.....those would be the ones to stay away from.
        I have a 1947 featherweight that I paid $235 for. It has great stamina, and creates a perfect stitch. This has become my primary machine, piecing over 20 quilts in the last 2 years. I will be able to pass that machine on to my Grandchildren as it will far outlast me. I also have an old Domestic High Speed 69 and am just in awe of the mechanical engineering of it. It too will be around for many years past me and next year it will be 100 years old! Have fun in your vintage machine hunt!
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you ladies, always nice to learn from those that have the item you are looking to purchase.
          sigpic

Comment

I don’t have a featherweight yet, mostly because they are the most expensive of the vintage machines, so can’t compare with any knowledge. Certainly they are the most portable one, if that’s important to you. These old machines are heavy. That being said, my favorite machine so far is a Singer 99(k) that I converted to a hand crank. I even took it camping last summer. I have been eyeing an aluminum model on eBay, wondering if it would be a little lighter weight.
            sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

hi
              the black 221 featherweights remind me of the bigger 201 with the cogs underneath, they are cute.
              here is some info on many machines right side under labels
              hope this helps

Comment

I have a Featherweight & my regular machine is a Singer 66 in the cabinet made in 1947. My DIL found it for me on one of our trips through the antique stores in Bisbee AZ where they live. Got it for $25 but it needed several parts replaced due to the harsh weather in the desert. Many rubber parts had dried out & crumbled. Still it only cost me $200 to have it completely refurbished.
                A good place to check for old machines is Facebook Marketplace. I belong to the local Buy-Sell-Trade sites on Facebook & I see tons of old treadle & electric machines, not just Singers. Prices seem mostly reasonable too, except for the Featherweights
                May the road rise up to meet you...
                May the wind be always at your back...
                May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Good luck in finding the vintage machine of your dreams. I keep my eyes open for a featherweight, preferably under $100. They are snapped up here quickly by connoisseurs, as there are almost a secret society. So for now, I am happy to have found a Singer 99 (1925) in great shape for $30. I know I need to replace the cord as it is frayed and also concerned that it is not grounded.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Vintage Sewing Machines

About this Group

Type: Public
                  Topics: 45
                  Comments: 197

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X