Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is everyone learning to quilt

Hi everyone,
    My name is Dee and I am a new Quilter. I made a quilt about 15 yrs ago, learned from reading books and magazines..Didn't come out as well as Iwould of liked, so I vowed to take classes and learn properly ...Well 15yrs later I finally am. I love it, I've already signed up for more classes. How is everyone else learning? I also am wathcing Utube and of course this forum..wish I had a local friend to share this interest and someone to mentor with...I know they have quilting"clubs"guilds but are they for newbies or are you expected to contribute your expertise to the group....????(I wouldn't be any help). Glad we have this group to ask these type of questions...I might not have asked another group...Thanks for listening...looking forward to all your answers
    Regards, Dee:icon_wave:

Hi, I was introduced to quilting by my sister. I love to use the internet and I found Missouri Star and that has helped me learn to quilt. I love Jenny's forums. I have made about ten items. Each one gets better. I saw a video that said that you don't need perfection, try your own style and creations. I have not used any patterns, I just wing it and make my own pattern as I go. It really works. You never mess up, you just adapt.

Comment

I am new to quilting and am very excited about learning to quilt better. I have actually made my first three but they were all quilt as you go quilts. So I am now ready to do one the regular way. I have learned everything so far from books and videos. I signed up for a quilting class on Craftsy.com recently on free motion quilting and am learning alot from that also.

Comment

Hello all, I am also new to quilting. Seems funny to say that at the age of 55! oh well - keeping my retired mind going! lol. I jumped in with one of Jenny Doan's youtube video's - using the sew as you go method. Probably not the most traditional method, but sure got me hooked. I just finished my second one and need to finished my third. Then.... on to more traditional patterns.
        I have also been viewing lots of videos on the rag quilts - would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a beginner?
        I'm also thinking about joining the Jenny Doan's pay tutorials - seems like a great tool. Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, Jenny's pay tutorials are great!!! I have learned so much from them and the best thing is you can go back whenever you want to. I think they are so worth the money spent.
          Monica
          :icon_wave:Monica

Comment

hi all - i have learned ALOT from watching Jenny's tutorials on this site! Love them!! also playing in the swaps and trading blocks with other quilty ladies. Was going to a local guild meeting (but those ladies were very "clickish" so not nearly as much fun as i had hoped - bummer!) mainly trial and error is how I have learned.
            Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
            hugs, Suzi
            http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
            it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

hi all, I've learned a lot from Jenny's tutorials too. I have to say everything!!! I joined the online classes from Jenny, too to learn more and get more confidence.
              I wanted to start quilting a long time ago. But I didn't know how to do that and I couldn't find the right fabric to start. I was so afraid cutting some fabrics, too. Last year I started to search in internet everything about quilting again. This time in english speaking internet area
              Guess what I found. I found Jenny's tutorial. After watching them I searched for precuts (JellyRoll). Here in Germany no way to find them in local shops (in my area). In the online-shops no way if you don't want to rob a bank lol. So I decided to order from US and I had to find out about shipping and customs dues and so on. And know I'm a happy quilt who tries to improve the quilting. AND I found you girls in this community.
              I trie a lot and now I'm in a new journey again. I try out to swap here with wonderful people!
              You see... I'm alone here (physically) but really I'm not. I have you guys. And we lern a lot from each other and it is really fun!
              hugs and Happy quilting :icon_hug:

Carmen ;) from Germany, Rentweinsdorf

Check out my blog: www.bambine007.blog.de

Comment

Hi All Newbies to this exciting world of Quilting. There is no fear of not having enough to learn!!! I am just crawling now, but I hope to be walking in another few months...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

I love Jenny. I found her and the Missouri Star on YouTube and I immediately subscribed. She is my inspiration!

Comment

GigiDiane I'm the same-Jenny is amazing. I found the Missouri Star YouTube videos and after watching and learning from her, I jumped into quilting with both feet!

Comment

I actually took a quilting class in September, which i loved andf i have been watching alot of the Missouri Star Quilting tutorials also, i am such a new beginner and things are going slow, but i am enjoying when i get the opportunity. I love all the tutorials though. i wish I lived closer so i could go and shop at the store lol

Comment

Very new beginners quil.ting!

About this Group

I very new at the whole quilting thing and so far i really like it. just want get get some friends on here and so lil help with things.
                      Type: Public
                      Topics: 9
                      Comments: 42

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X