The Fantastic Finishing Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January's quilt

I am having a hard time with my quilt so I won't finish in time. I now realize why I set it aside. I have a rectangle and I am supposed to cut the corners off and then sew on a different fabric to make a new corner. I cut the new "corners" 4 x 3" as instructed which are then cut diagonally. I then mark the corners of the block 3 3/8" on the long side and 2 1/2" on the short side (bottom). No matter how carefully I pin and sew the new corners don't make a square. I have gone as scant on sewing as possible and I still can't get it right. I am making sure I have 1/4 ears hanging off the side but still no luck. I don't want to cut the block down because I made sure they were all squared up to 8 1/2' x 20 1/2". I am now wondering if it would work cut the square 4 1/2" instead of 4" and leave the width at 3". There are 15 blocks and I am still working on the first one. Hoping next month goes better
    :icon_happy:

sigpic

I would try it that way, it's always better to have more than not enough. You can always trim it back to the size it's supposed to be. Though I think you may have to add to both dimensions on your corner blocks (4 1/2 x 3 1/2 to get it to work.
    "I must be royalty, I have quilts-in-waiting."

Comment

Have you tried the stitch and flip method? Just an idea.

Comment

The Fantastic Finishing Group

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2017.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of things you want to finish. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
      Type: Public
      Topics: 69
      Comments: 373

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X