5. Quilt & Bind Patriotic quilt
    6. COMPLETED - Quilt & bind feather strip quilt
    7. COMPLETED - Piece Dennis's quilt
    8. COMPLETED - Embroider, Quilt & Bind Pumpkin Wall Hanging
    9. Quilt & Bind Dennis's quilt
    10. COMPLETED - Bind Pioneer Sampler Quilt
    11. Quilt & Bind Snowman quilt
    12. COMPLETED - Quilt & Bind Lattice quilt/tablecloth

As you can tell I have a mixture of half done & want to do. Of course there are many more want to do based on the size of the growing stash.

I bought a Handiquilter Avanti a little over a year ago. I'm a beginner quilter so my fear of "screwing up" keeps me from getting started. In all this time I've only done two quilts and one table runner. As you can tell from my list I have to overcome this fear. How do you do it? I'm going to the UQMS show the beginning of May in Salt Lake City and taking a class so I'm hoping that will help. But how do you decide what to quilt and just take the plunge?

Comment

My first real attempt at fmq I bought a panel, baby quilt size. It was a very small investment and wasn't for any one in particular so if I messed it up, no great loss. I never did finisH it, but it gave me an opportunity to practice, learn, and build my confidence.

Comment

I haven't made lots of quilts but I started doing SITD, then I got my quilting machine and it has a fancy wavy pattern so I used that for SITD. I have got a little bolder and mark the fabric with the ruler and a frixon pen - still only straight lines but the more i do the more confident I feel!!

I don't have a great deal of time to sew but have a looong list of UFO's. Once my commitments​ have been met I feel I can take time to practice fmq! I fancy having a go at the C pattern - it's one SewVeryEasy has on YouTube.

Comment

The only way I get better is to take the plunge on something that has not taken me a ton of time to work on and is not for a special person. I also display a lot of quilts that are not perfect, so I had to get over my embarrassment at having imperfect items on beds, on walls and draped over sofas. I came to realize that people are totally impressed, no matter what I have on display, and they are looking at the overall appearance of the quilt. And that most people I sew for are not quilters themselves and really appreciate the effort and beauty of the project no matter its imperfections. As Nike says, Just Do It!

Comment

I also have joined Craftsy and taken a BUNCH of classes on there. Most of the teachers have you make a simple project to work on or use wholecloth designs, but you could use your own UFOs instead.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Guess I need to get brave and just do it.

Comment

The Fantastic Finishing Group

About this Group

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2017.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of things you want to finish. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.
              Type: Public
              Topics: 69
              Comments: 373

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X