Sewing Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing New Sewing machine advise

I'm looking to purchase a new sewing machine. Up until now I have just purchased the cheap $100 Brothers from Walmart and I just wear them out. I'm looking for some advise from you all.

1 - What sewing machine do you have?
    2 - What do you like or dislike about your machine?
    3 - How often do you use your machine? (daily, weekly, monthly etc...)
    3 - Have you had any trouble with your machine?
    4 - Would you purchase that machine again?
    5 - Does your machine have a stitch regulator?

Thanks so much for your help.

Helllloooo...Is there anybody out there?

Comment

Hi I have a suggestion for you. I would go and try different brands at the dealerships. Try sewing on each one and asking what it can and can not do. You know what you want it to do when you are quilting so don't be afraid to ask any question that you might think you want to do on your new machine. Sometimes you can tell by sewing on it yourself how it feels and how it runs. Think of everything you would like to try on the machine and do it. Don't be pressure into buying a certain machine until you have tried a few to compare them yourself. You already have specific ideas what you want to do so go with in. Good luck in your search.
      I have a Viking Sapphire 850
      I have a wide throat area I like
      I uses my machine almost every day
      Have not had any problems with it so far ( I have had it about 10 years)
      I like my machine but if I buy another one it would have a stitch regulator.
      Hope this helps. Good luck

Comment

I have a Janome 15000, it has a deep throat so I can do my own machine quilting, It is also and embroidery machine. I've had it about 1.5 years and love it. I never had a machine like this and is my 1st purchase. I did have a Janome 3000 for 15 years before I moved up. I don't have a stitch regulator but I think I would like to have one. I use it every week and would purchase again. Have fun shopping and trying them out. Let us know what you get )

Comment

I agree with going and trying out various machines as well as dealerships. Write down a list of what you are looking for in a sewing machine and take the list with you. Also have in mind a price range that you are wanting to spend. When considering price also consider how much additional feet cost as the price can vary widely. A dealer can make a huge difference in in the quality of help and service you get.
          Some features that I think are nice are needle threader, auto needle up/down, thread cutter (this comes in handy when quilting), feed dogs down (this is needed if you are considering free motion quilting). Also see how many feet are included and possibly an extension table.
          Does the dealer offer free classes to learn how to operate the machine? What type of warranties are available? Do they offer on-site cleaning and repair?

My main go to machine is the Baby Lock Symphony. It was not the one that I was originally looking at when I went it but one of the features that sold me was the large computer screen where I could just touch the stitch that I wanted and could see the stitching that I had picked out - comes in handy when doing decorative stitches. I have found it to be very user friendly. I would love to be able to sew on it every day but life happens along the way.

Comment

1. I have the BabyLock Elizabeth
            2. I love the automatic needle threader, it's work space could have better lighting
            3.I love using it, very quite, self adjust tension regulated, I use it quite often ,(I hand piece block's but connect rows, for a stronger quilt.
            4.yes, most definitely,this machine is more of a machine than I needed. I have room to grow and feel good about what I have in this sweet girl.

I made a list, of must haves.......
            A needle threader, stitch regulator, and Quite, we're very necessary to me.
            Price,and size was also important. All must have's we're met and 133 stitches to boot, and assistances too.

Good luck, and continue adding info here.
            Thanks.

....Bee
            The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
            ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

Sewing Machines

About this Group

Questions RE: sewing machines for quilting and other projects
            Type: Public
            Topics: 2
            Comments: 7

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse