Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to send pillowcases

Hello all,
    Thank you to all of you that have sent and volunteered to send pillowcases. It was brought to my attention that creating a group might be a great avenue to have a base for communications for those that want to help. So, here it is. My name is Julie and I live here in one of the flood ravaged parishes here in south Louisiana. As a seamstress, and a quilter, I have been inspired by others giving of themselves. I received an email from one of our local quilt shops stating that they were doing a pillowcase drive. I thought .....I would love to gather up some, I belong to quilting groups with friends from all over the US. I have quilt guilds working on some, I have fabric donations from manufacturers, online quilt shops, and friends, I am amazed at the generosity. Since my LQS was taking their pillowcases today, there was no way to have all of mine collected by then. So, I am working with folks in the Livingston Parish school system and some local churches and daycares to be able to deliver them to the needy children. These families have lost everything except the structure of a house. Starting over is tough, and with these, I am hoping to bring a smile to a child in this confusing time. Thank you all!
    Send your pillowcases to:
    Julie Higgins
    40207 Azalea Dr
    Ponchatoula LA
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
    :D

Two pillow cases on their way to you, Julie. Thanks for the work you do and the time you give to others.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Happy to join and will a have some pillowcases to send soon. Thanks for starting this group, you have chosen excellent places for distribution,

Comment

Thanks to you all, I had the opportunity to give out my first one here in my hometown. I went to WalMart to pick up a few groceries. I thought I would ask them for a fabric donation while I was there. I waited at the customer service desk for the manager to go and collect the fabric, when I started talking to one of the employees about what I am doing. She was a grandmother with a 6 year old grandson whose home flooded. She told me his family is staying with her and he keeps asking, "When can I go home?" It was just so sad how the little ones just don't understand what is going on. I had a"Minion" pillowcase in my purse to show the Walmart manager what we are doing, so I handed it to her and told her to give it to him and hopefully it will give him a little reason to smile.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Comment

Happy to join. Our guild is having a sew-in on Monday. Although the ones made with donated fabric are destined to a teacher in a hard-hit parish, the ones I make with my own fabric I will send to you. I'm not very quick so it may not be many ...

Comment

I have some ready to mail....thanks for helping!
            Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

Thank you for starting the Group. I think you will get better results this way. I have five pillowcases done but I want to make a couple more. Will let you know when they are mailed.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Julie, this week is filled with doc appointments, but I will get to work on the weekend and have them off to you by the end of next week. This is such a great idea. Just a little something to brighten the day of those who lost sooooo much. God Bless.

Comment

I have about 20 cut out and ready to sew....which should start in about 15 minutes. Glad that you have places to go to donate these. Just read a post on Facebook about the Red Cross and how some donations of food and clothing are thrown out cause they don't have the resources to deal with them....something about the beauracy of the organization. I don't want all our hard work to go into a dumpster.

Comment

Julie, I bet you put a big smile on that little boys face.
                    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

mpattylou, I have read and shared some of the horrible posts about the Red Cross, and you can all believe, that all of our hard work will NOT go to them or go through them. I plan to personally hand deliver them to the places that can, I am currently getting a head count for a particular school in the Frost Community in Livingston Parish where 90% of their students homes flooded. I will be taking those to their principal. I also have a daughter that is a pre-k teacher at a local Montessori school and she is getting a count of the children that lost homes as well. And there will be many more resources besides those, but we will see how many pillowcases we can collect and go from there.

Julie

Comment

Oh and one more thing.........Just so thankful for all of your generosity, words cannot describe!

Julie

Comment

Julie, how long will you be collecting pillowcases?
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I will probably be collecting for about the next 3 weeks.

Julie

Comment

Just cut out a bunch today, will get busy sewing.

Comment

Pillowcases for Louisiana's kids

About this Group

This group was created as a base for communication for volunteers that would like to make some kids pillowcases for the smallest flood victims of the August 2016 south Louisiana flooding.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 22
                              Comments: 98

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X