Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapunto Embroidery Designs

I just purchased a few designs I would like to give it a try. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience in these.

I've tried two sandwiches:
    I'm using Magnifico thread from Superior both bobbin and top
    So far I layered a tear off sheet, cotton batting and fabric as the sandwich in my hoop.
    Tension had been set from last time as 4 on my SE400 Brother.

This design seemed to be working ok (well until my thread broke and I didn't realize it)

2nd one was a different design with same thread
    Layered with a tear off sheet, poly batting and fabric in my hoop

I was getting little loops of thread showing on the top. I adjusted the tension downward to 3 and that seems to be correcting the problem.

Sooo, anyway I thought I'd spend the day playing with this then thought Wait! Wait! Maybe someone here is a Trapunto Embroidery Wizard. If so, any experiences you can share with this embroidery technique???
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

I worked with it some more and finally think I got it right. I uploaded a pic to the gallery.

I finally used a tension of 3 with the Magnifico Superior's Thread in bobbin and top. The sandwich was cut away stabilizer, cotton batting (I use for my microwave bowls) and a off white cotton, probably Moda.

You do have to watch this design constantly. I found that you also had to change the needle after each design you use. It took 2 bobbins to complete although I did have quite a bit left of the second bobbin. It had approx 16,000 tiny stitches and took a little over a half hour to stitch out.

I'm thinking of doing a couple of table runners with a few of the designs. Would love to do a lap quilt but I don't know if I have the patience LOL
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Hi Carlie,

Late to the party. What needle/type were you using? Try changing out the needle type/size when there are issue with breakage. I have used Microtex 80/12 and even Topstitch 80/12.

Does your machine have a setting for the height of the EMB foot? Check to make sure it is on the default settings. Breakage can occur when the setting is not the default one.

Rhonda K

Comment

Rhonda unfortunately at this point I don't remember the needle size or type since I have a couple of brands at the moment. I do think it was size 11 though. Also I don't think my machine has an adjustment to the EMB foot. It's also a pretty basic machine, the Brother SE400. Things did improve when I went back to the cotton batting instead of the poly but now that you mention it perhaps the poly would have been ok if I could have adjusted the EMB foot? I am going to stick with the cotton batting though for the rest of these squares though.

I think any trapunto project is going to be a long term one...like over a year or half year. I have a hard time sitting still to oversee a block for a half hour LOL Maybe once I've done enough of them I'll get into a better groove where I don't feel I have to watch it so closely. But I do like the look of trapunto. I'd love to be able to do it free form, without the use of an embroidery machine, on my quilting machine but I don't know, that could very well be a pipe dream :-)

Comment

Another late reply to your original post.

You mention using the thread in both top and bobbins. Have you tried the pre-wound bobbins? I use them for almost all projects unless the back is seen. They are thinner thread and contain more on the bobbin.

I have a couple of Anita Good designs with trapunto and thinking of making a block or two.

Thanks for the info on the different battings.

Rhonda K.

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
          Type: Public
          Topics: 239
          Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X