Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designing your own patterns?

Has anyone here made their own embroidery designs? I was thinking about it yesterday and thinking OMG that must be so hard...how do they do that! Do they have to program each stitch, making it go every which way??? Then thought hummmm their must be software or easier ways to do it.

Has anyone tried their own? I started looking at utube videos and started seeing some of the software named. I noticed Embrillance named and thought cripes that must be EXPENSIVE. I was surprised I saw it for what looked like $137 then I saw something that was called SewArt and their other program SewWhatPro which ran around $70 each. I've played around for years with making my own website graphics and was wondering if this is a similar type of thing?

If you had one do you think you'd actually use it and be happy? Know anything about the SewArt products??

Curious minds want to know :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

My roommate (aka DH) teaches how to design and digitize your own embroidery designs - and sometimes (though not as often as I'd like) I can get him to do something for me on request . . . there are some things I am able to do for myself. My biggest issue is that it is something I don't 'want or need' to do. We have Premier Plus Embroidery software.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sure wish someone was close by who knew how to TEACH digitizing. I don't even have a soft wear program because I don't know what to look for and what I am doing. I love my embroidery machine...and seem to do OK with pre bought designs, but would love to know digitizing.
      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Oh, and when I first became interested in machine embroidery (way back in 2003) I had a Bernina Deco machine (4x4 inch hoop) and used the SewArt - it really was easy to use and fun. May be a good way for you to decide if you want to get your feet wet. My design collection is close to a half million pieces and I'd venture to say that anything I'm interested in I can find that someone else had already done the work for me.

Comment

Look for Embroidery Software Training on Facebook . . .

Comment

Thanks, Sandy. Gonna check it out!
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Thanks Sandy :-) I might try the SewArt at some point when I have a little extra money. Are you allowed to take something like tattoo designs and digitize them for embroidery or would that be copyright infringement?Also I had used quite a few of the "stylish" and "inky" animals for key chains but they didn't have very many to purchase and wondered if I could draw my own animals or would that be copyrighted to for the style?
              Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Not an authority on copyright, you may need to find where the original image came from - Al recommends free and in the public domain images (and these are stated to be so) try this site: search for publicdomainvectors.org - otherwise, you may be caught up in a squabble somewhere down the line. But if you see a picture and can draw your own version . . . just be careful.

Comment

Ok, thanks :-)

Comment

Lots of nice stuff there Sandy. It's good for ideas to use but stylize. One shocker though was a rendering of a black rottie shadow. It looks exactly like one I did back the end of the 90's early 2000 of my rottweiller Rusty. I had done one using Paint Shop Pro taking it from a picture I had taken of him and then worked it pixel by pixel so it was just an outline filled in with black. The ears, the head set, everything was identical! The only difference was they had oriented it to face the opposite direction. Is that possible???

Comment

Yes, in this day and age, anything that is out there can be photo-shopped or copied and minimally altered and claimed and used (remember Marilyn's recent posts about the microwave pot holders) - nothing is sacred any more . . . .

Comment

There are so many designs "already" available depending on theme or topic. I generally find the perfect one for my project.

Have you seen these designs? Some of my favorite sites.

http://www.urbanthreads.com/categori...roideryDesigns

Animals

https://www.anitagoodesignonline.com...into-the-wild/

https://www.anitagoodesignonline.com...ful-creatures/

One more I found

https://www.anitagoodesignonline.com...of-this-swirl/

Some of the software is sold in modules. Different functions and different levels add another cost to the program. Many are tickler programs to get you started and some may do exactly what you need. Hard to say.

The new embroidery machines Brother/Baby-lock have a feature called my design center. You can scan a very simple picture or graphic and it digitizes the design. You can't leave any "open" areas or it wants to fill those with stitches instead of the satin stitch around the design. There are chain, bead, satin, candlewick stitches to choose when making the design. It also has options for multiple stippling designs.

If you are interested check the Floriani software shown at sewing events through dealers. It is a one time cost (approx 2K) Updates and Upgrades are included. Important with the speed that technology changes. Many programs end up being non compatible since they are so expensive to Upgrade.

I have Embroidery Works which is a very simple program to use. It functions with Accuquilt shapes too. My dream machine came with BES program which has more features. I like it and have been taking monthly classes. There is a huge time investment learning these programs. The BES isn't mac compatible at this time so that is a disappointment for some.

If your rotti pic was posted on line someone may have lifted it. Always a possibility.

Good luck with your decision! Rhonda

PS: Last one. Our local guild used these designs for a raffle quilt. Fun stuff! Of course, now I want them too.

http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/item...83&pid=1601685

Comment

Thank you all for all this info! I purchased my graphics pad and downloaded Krita so I've been practicing drawing my own graphics over the past month. I thought that might be a good starting point. It's fun and I've really felt the need to learn something new. At this age I didn't want my brain to freeze up LOL.

I've also been investigating some of the embroidery design programs that might fit my budget. I've narrowed it down to the Sew Art ones since I think I can come up with that amount of $'s. I downloaded the demo SewArt last night and I had watched some of the tutorials over the last month. It seems easy enough to learn. So I'll do that for a month and then probably purchase it. But then I was looking at Sew Art Pro and now I'm confused. Sew Art is $75 and Pro is $65. It's not sinking in as to whether I really need Sew Art if I got Sew Art Pro instead??? Is it necessary? Initially I was thinking well Sew Art I could draw my own graphics then play with what stitches are required. But if I have Krita I can draw my own graphics and then import the images into Sew Art Pro, right? I know Pro has more options and it seems the text editing is more functional. So why would I need SewArt particularly since Sew Art Pro is cheaper?

Curious minds want to know :-)

Comment

Rhonda those patterns are really beautiful! Thank you for sharing :-) I just love them.

Yes the rottie pics were done way back when a lot of people started doing their own graphics for their internet sites. I had done that one to use in website banners and buttons I was making. I'm glad some people are enjoying my dog Rusty LOL I guess it was back in the "wild west" days of the internet. Back in the late 90's I had used a beautiful picture of a snow leopard done by someone. A few years ago, maybe three, I received an email from the guy who took the photo saying that he had been in college on a work study program and had taken that pic of an animal he had worked with. He asked me to attribute it to him which I thought was more then fair :-). Nice guy and I thought he had such an interesting story. What a beautiful animal it was.

Comment

Quite possible - if it was anywhere on the internet and someone could access it (in your Pinterest, Flicker, etc. accounts) - and it is very easy to turn a photo around, upside down, backwards. Amazing the things we have now that we feel are secure, but truly aren't.

Why, if I am out shopping somewhere and look at something, does Amazon send me an e-mail the next day offering that item at a discount? I believe they have drones following me around. Today was an ad about a coffee maker that we recently purchased, that takes a specialty filter - and they offered the filters for that brand specifically. Isn't technology great?

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 239
                              Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X