Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Nuther Question

So, if you were going to be making a bunch of coasters, what material would you choose? I definitely don't want to use quilting quality fabric - I'd like something more substantial. I'm ruling out a canvas and felt . . . any other ideas? Don't think denim will cut it either. I need something kind of artsy . . . who out there in embroidery land knows their fabrics?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Well artsy can be anything you want to use.

Are these done ITH? You can add a layer underneath the hoop to stabilize. Just repeat the tack down stitch before your final satin stitch.

I use 809 Decor Bond. Iron it onto the backing fabric cut larger than your EMB design. Place under hoop with pretty fabric FACE down, run the tack down again, take hoop off and trim down to stitch line. This gives a nice finish to the back. The bobbin stitches are hidden and a pretty fabric shows on back. Then do the final satin stitch. Tear away the stabilizer around design and d-o-n-e!

Have FUN!

Comment

That may be better than tacking to the front and trying to turn it right side out!! Thanks, Rhonda.

Comment

Still asking question - what FABRIC would you recommend - I DO NOT WANT REGULAR QUILTING FABRIC . ..

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Comment

There is a canvas type material at jo-anns in the Home Decor Dept. It is thicker than the quilting fabric.

Just re-read that you don't want canvas, felt or denim. Hmm, not much left but what about something in the Home Dec line? It is 54 inches wide, a little thicker than quilting fabric. Jo=anns has some on racks in the stores.

Just wondering why NO to the quilt fabrics?

Link for Home Dec Fabrics. Large prints will lose the overall design though.

https://www.housefabric.com/

Comment

A resale item for a specialty shop - their request. Just didn't know what to look for on-line.
            I'm trying Aida cloth to see what they say. Decorator fabric was also abandoned . . .
            Going to try cork - test.

Comment

It depends on how dense the embroidery will be. Cork would be lovely, but I've never embroidered on it. Don't rule out duck canvas. There are a lot of nice prints in the store. Twill can be heavy. Suede and matalesse can be really nice and are home dec fabrics and stand up to wear. Look up curtain fabrics for artsy stuff.

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
              Type: Public
              Topics: 239
              Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

• chelea
                Willcox and Gibbs
                by chelea
                Several months ago I let a Singer 24 get away. This time, same consignment shop, I didn't hesitate. Meet Eleanor, c. 1891. The Willcox and Gibbs story...
                November 24, 2020, 03:30 PM
              • KPH
                My Secret Santa box has arrived.
                by KPH
                Just Lyn, Thanks so much. I appreciate all of the hard work you have done. That's an amazing Advent Calendar. I can't wait to see the kids again to show...
                November 19, 2020, 03:06 PM
              • KPH
                Secret Santa Arrivals
                by KPH
                Alrighty, for the sake of my nerves... I know one of the rules is to send me the tracking numbers. All well and good, but when your package arrives. Would...
                November 12, 2020, 08:39 AM
              • Monique
                It has arrived
                by Monique
                My parcel from Chris has arrived and mine is on an airplane headed to her. WOOHOO!!

I will fondle it gently when I pick it up and then put...
                November 10, 2020, 03:38 AM
              • KPH
                New Leader needed for 2021
                by KPH
                We're reaching that point, of thinking about 2021 SS. I hope someone will step up and be the moderator for next year. I have all of the letters and files...
                November 1, 2020, 01:41 PM
              Working...
              X