Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnetic Hoops

Does anyone use magnetic hoops? I have a Babylock Flourish and have been wondering if magnetic hoops are worth investing in.

I don't have a magnetic hoop but saw one at a recent show. The magnets were really strong and seemed to hold well onto the bottom piece. I just wonder if the process of embroidering would cause any slippage or distortion.

Generally, everything is done in the hoop. For difficult items, I will carefully pin project to stabilizer and use a basting stitch block to secure.

What is the attraction to the magnetic hoops? Just something fun to use or are you having troubles with hooping projects? Is the hoop a BL product? I need to check with my local dealer. It's always fun to discover new tools.

Good luck!

Rhonda

Comment

I was watching a tutorial on Sewing with Nancy and they were embroidering a design on a small quilt top. A magnetic hoop was used since they had to keep re-hooping after the design was done. So I was wondering if anyone here had done such a thing.

Comment

I have one, it's a 5x7 and really nice. It's my go to hoop because it lays flat and is easy to hoop the fabric and stabilizer. The magnets are really strong so there isn't any slipping going on. I was worried about that too.

Comment

Are there magnetic hoops for each company - Baby Lock, Bernina, Janome, etc or are they one size does all types? How do they attach to the embroidery module because I don't think they are all the same. I originally had a Baby Lock Ellure Plus and you had to push the hoops down on some medal things that stuck out. I now have a Baby Lock Ellageo Plus and you slide the hoop into a slot on the embroidery module.

Comment

My machine is a Pfaff and the hoop is also a Pfaff brand. The hoop has the same connecting mechanism as the other hoops I have. I believe other sewing machine companies have them for some of their machines. They are very popular.

The Snap Hoop is a magnetic hoop that is sold by a company that I've heard good things about. Instead of separate magnets, it uses a big frame that magnetically snaps to the hoop. That seemed like a good thing to me - keep all the fabric in a grip and thus not able to shift. But I got a good deal for my Pfaff hoop from the dealer so I bought it.

Another good point about a magnetic hoop is you don't get hoop burns or marks in your fabric (especially if it has a nap, like velvets and towels). But there are other ways to avoid those with a regular hoop too.

Comment

I had a magnetic hoop when I had a Pfaff. It was made by Pfaff and used separate magnets, and I used it a lot and like it. The do make a stabilizer with a sticky side that sticks to the hoop.

I now have a Babylock Destiny II and have a magnetic hoop from Snap Hoop, which is an 8X8. It has the frame which goes all around and I haven't used it much because I've not been able to do much sewing for a couple of months. I'll be using it tomorrow for some freestanding lace bookmarks. I think it will do fine.

Nancy
              Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

I've been looking at the Snap Hoops on Amazon and Nancy's Notions have Monster Hoops. Is there a tremendous amount of difference.? My hoop slides in from the side and snaps into place. I may just have to try and dig up more info on both.

Holy crud.. They are the same thing aren't they... I just found a youtube video.

Comment

I used it today for my bookmarks and it worked very well. I used Inspira Agua Magic Stabilizer and i did use two layers.

Nancy
                  Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                  Type: Public
                  Topics: 239
                  Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X