Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobbin threads showing

I noticed over time I've had the bobbin threads showing on more and more patterns. So it's gotten really bad and I guess it was time to start playing around with that which is new to me for embroidery. So I've been playing with that since 11AM and I'm so proud of myself....I finally got it fixed and I've started getting to the new sewing designs I bought for a particular project. So far looks nice.

First I tried adjusting the top thread tension a bit looser and put it down to 2. It helped only a very little. (I have a Brother SE400). Looked up Google for other suggestion and most recommended tightening the bobbin tension. I can do that sort of stuff on my long arm but the bobbin structure for the SE400 is a new creature for me. So I watched a few utube tutorials and played around a bit. It wasn't as easy as I thought because the little screw is so tiny I had a hard time seeing the groove to put the little screwdriver in to tighten it. I mean really bad. It looked to me like it had been stripped and I haven't touched it since I got the machine. It also almost looked like there was a greenish putty or something in the groove in areas. No idea what that was. Anyway it took a LONG time to get it to tighten. I tested and had to tighten a little more twice. Thank god I'm in a good relaxed head space today!

Although everything turned out ok I'm thinking perhaps I should purchase a new bobbin case because I can't believe all the bobbin cases have such a weird tension tightening screw. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of the first run of the design and then the finished one if you want.
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

So glad you could fix it. I just took mine in last week for that. It seems to do it worse when I use pre wound bobbins

Comment

Most bobbin cases are factory set to take a bobbin thread - which should be at least a 60 weight for good embroidery work. Quite often we use another weight thread in the bobbin and wind up with bits of lint (minute) in the 'spring' or tension plate. I'm guilty of using whatever thread I have for the top stitch in the bobbin and often have to get this cleaned out. Adjusting the tension on a bobbin case is not for the faint of heart.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Now I'm thinking I may have patted myself on the back too soon. I uploaded the second design of the design pack and it's stitching the same way that the other one did at first. Still using bottom line in the bobbin and the same embroidery threads for the top. The design is a real bobbin thread eater so now I'm thinking if there are differences in the bobbins I'm using since over time I've purchased them from different sources. I've put the embroidery away and decided to get a pack of bobbins specifically for the Brother SE400 machine and retry again. I also called Superior Threads and discussed with them the needles and ordered a pack they suggested along with more bottom line. Usually I keep all my embroidery related things in the same pouch so as not to mix up accessories but now I'm wondering if I mixed up some of my older bobbins in with the newer batch over time.

I also now wish I had taken one of my ex's vernier calipers with me when I left because it would have been perfect to check the bobbin dimensions. I'm looking forward to my next social security check to continue working on this annoying puzzle.
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I have another question relative to this. When you wind bobbins do you change the speed to the fastest or leave it on your regular stitching speed.

Same with when you are embroidery. Do you change you speed to the fastest or leave it midway?

Comment

I usually slow my machine W A Y down when winding bobbins. (And I usually do a couple winds around the tension ring which helps get a really tight bobbin wind). Often, depending on how the machine is stitching, I'll also slow it down when doing embroidery. It's funny, sometimes the machine seems to have a mind of it's own and I have to step in and force it to do what I want it to do. I once was having difficulty with some embroidery work (small lettering) and asked a repair person what I could do to help and they recommended for the fine stitching that I use the Janome Red Tip (I think that's right - it may be Red Top) needles for fine stitching (I don't have a Janome machine either). I have stuck with those and been happy, though recently I've tried some specialty needles from Superior and been quite happy. My machine (H-V Royale) absolutely loves Superior threads.

Comment

This is good to know. For some reason I was thinking that when winding bobbins the faster the speed the tighter the bobbin. I'll make that change and also slow down the embroidery speed.

Comment

I generally use pre-wound bobbins for my emb machine projects. There is more thread on them than what the machine winds. Plus they are thinner 60 weight thread as mentioned above.

After you finish winding your bobbin, check to see that it feels firm and not squishy. Firm will mean it is properly wound.

Have you tried other designs to see how they stitch out for you?

What size and type of needle are you using/ You might also try a top stitch needle. Sometimes a different type of needle will do the trick.

What is your fabric/stabilizer set-up for the project? Is it all hooped together in the hoop? What is the stitch count of design? You may need to float another layer of stabilizer.

When doing lettering, I use a micro thread since it is even finer than regular emb thread.

You may need a machine service to discover and fix the problem. Take the design and stabilizer hooped so you can show them what happens when stitching.

Good luck. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Comment

Thank you Rhonda K.

I had finished a set of dogs using the same fabric, needle, top threads, stabilizer, bobbin thread and they worked fine. Then switched to a sewing design pack and the problems started. Thread count changed from the 14000 to about 22000, I wound new bobbins and may have used the wrong ones. (some have circular holes on top and others have square holes and I forget which I've used in the past) Also may have changed the speed of the machine for stitching and bobbin winding. So at this point I'm thinking those would be the variables that may be causing the problem. So I'll change back the speeds, and I purchased new top stitch titanium needles, new bobbins and bottom line thread for the bobbins and see how that goes.

Comment

Thanks for the update. What stabilizer are you using? You should also add another layer if design is over 8,000 stitch count.

Do you have a pre-wound bobbin to try?

Please let us know if your changes work for the designs or if you still have thread showing on top. Good luck!

Comment

It's called AAA Tear Away Easy 8x8's . It really seems pretty thick to me. Seems thicker than some I've used in the past. I don't know anything about the company and I got it on Amazon. You still think I should double that? I'll give that a try.

I don't really like the idea of using prewound bobbins since they are pretty pricey if I can help it. I think that would be a last option for me on the variables LOL.

Yes I'll let you know how I do with the changes.

Comment

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I slowed down the bobbin winding speed, got new bobbins, got the topstitch 14 needles and slowed down the embroidery speed. I stitched out one embroidery design and some letters and all seems well. I used red embroidery thread for the top and a white 60 bottom line for the bobbin and so far I don't see the white bobbin tread showing through. It was a Valentine heart.

I'll try some with multi colors next week when I get a chance. I really wish I had more money to get more colors of Superiors Twist thread, really love that stuff and only have a two colors in my stash.

Comment

Superior twist is SPECTACULAR. I, too love it.

Comment

I was at my embroidery club Friday night and within a couple of minutes of starting the design, the bobbin thread started showing on the top of the design. I took the bobbin out, cleaned out the bobbin case (which I had just cleaned at home before going to club), put everything back in and it stitched out beautifully. I even did another design and everything was fine. I use The Finishing Touch bobbin thread. It came with my machine and since it seems to work well, I have not tried anything else. I have found, in the past, that when there is a problem with my stitch out, if I put in a new needle, it will often solve the problem. I have been using Schmetz titanium embroidery needles and they work well also. Not sure how much longer a titanium needle is supposed to last, but I get them at Joann's with at least a 50% off coupon. Also, my machine is due very soon for a yearly check-up, but I have a couple of projects right now that I must get done and can't be without my machine for a couple of weeks.

Comment

I bought new bobbin case and it came the other day. I tried a few designs and they were coming out much better. The stitching looked perfect. I did discover that you can readily see the changes as you stitch from one design to another without changing the needle. The second design was ok but things didn't look as defined as the first. By the third I could see the bobbin thread starting to show up on top in places. This was a titanium needle. I was hoping to get more out of it. I started doing piecing then and within a short time I would have problems occasionally. So time to change the needle...do a few embroidery designs and move forward on piecing again. Also I noticed that on the new bobbin case the tension screw is covered over with something green or blue same as the first one. You can't get at the screw to make changes to the bobbin tension so I gather that with the Brother SE400 they don't want you touching that.

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 239
                              Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X