Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't Even Turned It On

Hello Everyone. I just bought a Janome 400E 8X8 inch design space embroidery machine. I haven't even plugged it in yet. Honestly I am a little timid about this whole new endeavor. I am a quilter and would like to incorporate monograms, designs, into my quilt. That is why I purchased a machine with a hoop size that will accommodate up to 8X8 designs.
    Can you suggest what my first project should be? I also need to buy supplies. Some thread came with the machine and Tear Away stabilizer. I am sure I will need more supplies so any suggestions would be welcome.
    I am sure I will be calling upon your help as I get my feet wet. Excited but nervous. Thanks and to all a very Healthy and Happy New Year.

Take any and all classes your dealer offers. Watch what tutorials you can on YouTube. Test your designs before you embroider on something good. This is especially true when you are new.

Welcome to machine embroidery and have fun with it.

Nancy
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

I did the same thing when my Janome arrived. It sat for six weeks before I opened it. I was really worried and somewhat intimidated by it, down right afraid to open the boxes! There are some really good Craftsy classes available, Janome has a workbook available for some of their models too. Don't skimp on supplies. Buy the best you can afford. Simple one color designs are a good to start. Dish towels are great for these. Use the coupons from JoAnn's to build your stabilizer stash. Also Amazon sells stabilizer by the roll. I like Sulky, Guttermann, and Madeira threads. Cheap threads break a lot. You will be amazed at what you can do. There are many others here who have much more experience than I do. I am sure they will be along with lots of help.
      sigpic

Comment

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx Great place to get designs, great prices too.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I bit the bullet and turned on the machine. I read that in order to download designs such as the site Carolyn recommended, I have to have a software program. Yikes. Didn't realize that or am I mistaken. I have a Mac computer. I thought I could just purchase a design with my specific format and then transfer it to a USB drive and insert the stick into my Janome. The book that comes with the machine doesn't mention anything about acquiring additional designs other than what comes with the machine.
          Also I would like to purchase a smaller hoop. The two choices I have are 5X5 and 5.5X7.9. My enclosed hoop has an embroidery area of 7.9X7.9. Which of the two hoops is the most desirable? Again, many thanks for your help. Joined a couple of Facebook groups but haven't been accepted yet.

Comment

I got an organizer program from my dealer which has been very helpful, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on a Mac.

As far as I know you can do just exactly as you describe and download, put on a USB drive and put the stick in your machine. Emblibrary has color charts but I don't know if all sites do have color charts. Also I would download first to your laptop and then copy to USB drive. This way you'll always have your designs on your laptop for backup.

As for hoops, I happen to like the larger sizes but not everyone does. Currently I have 7 hoops running from 4x4 to 14x9

Nancy

Nancy
            Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

Comment

Yes, you can transfer a design from a CD, the internet or wherever else, right to a USB. There was quite a learning curve for me with this process but I now have this process down. I do this all the time --- I love embroidery. You do have to make sure that the design you want to transfer is not too big for the hoop --- even when it sounds like it will fit in your hoop, if the number of mm either way is off by even one, the design won't load into your machine. This has happened over and over to me and a couple of others that I know. I now have a larger hoop and mostly it works fine. I agree with Nancy (Shawnan), take every class your dealer offers. Mine only offered one 2 hour class where only about 15 min. were devoted to embroidery. I have also gotten into Anita Goodesign. They have a ton of CD's and designs - I love the "in-the-hoop" projects. Check in your area and see if there are any Anita Goodesign embroidery parties. They are a lot of fun and you get a lot of experience with embroidery. Good luck and you are going to have a lot of fun!!

Comment

You don't need an embroidery program to download designs. Download the files to your computer, unzip them if they are zip files, and copy the correct format for your machine to a USB stick. It's that easy.

I have a folder on my computer full of designs. I organize mine by what the design is - animal, flower, people, holidays, etc and inside each of those folders are multiple subfolders. Others save their designs by the name of the designer. So there isn't any right way - only the way that works best for you. It's also a GREAT idea to backup your designs to avoid losing them.

As for hoops, I wouldn't buy anything just yet. Play around with what you have and see what makes sense to buy. I use my 5x7 hoop most of the time.

Have fun and welcome to machine embroidery!

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                Type: Public
                Topics: 239
                Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X