Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amount of Thread?

Is there a way to calculate how much thread you would use in a design? Seems there should be a formula or something available, maybe using the number of stitches in the design? Wishful thinking on my part maybe? Guessing just does not work well. Today I was TWELVE stitches short on a design!
    sigpic

Carolyn, years ago I found a chart on Cute Embroidery that gave the 'estimate' of the number of stitches per yard/spool - but that's really an iffy, I think. I have hundreds of spools. Some have been used, some are new and still 'wrapped', but there's no way of knowing just how many stitches based on the design you are doing (at least my semi-logical mind says not). How many of us have sweated it and wound up with a couple inches left on a spool, or - like you said - ran out right before the finish? Depending upon the digitizer you may have several tie stitches in a design. You may pull three or four inches of thread off when beginning a design. I may pull 4 1/2 inches. There are too many factors that may come in to play.

I am sorry you ran out right at the end. If I know I have several thousand stitches I try to choose a spool that I am certain will do that many - yet it always remains a hit or miss.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thanks Sandy, I did happen to have an extra spool of the same thread. I was doing towel sets and like you said I chose threads based on how much I had of certain colors. I hit a gold mine when a shop moved their location, thread was 90% off. I brought home two bags of thread of which they had to double bag because of the weight!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Those are the kinds of sales we love to find, aren't they? One of my best finds? A quilting store going out of business had several cases that held Perle cotton. I picked the cases up for pennies - and they are just the right size to organize my embroidery threads on cones - each drawer holds 100 spools. Winner-winner.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
        Type: Public
        Topics: 239
        Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X