Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread question

I hadn't pulled out my embroidery machine section in a while so I did one test run since I'm really still a newbie.

I had a 40 wt twist emboidery thread in the top (colored) and then wound some white 60 wt for the bobbin. (I was assuming that is why I had purchased the 60wt). On the first run I noticed that part of the design showed the bottom 60wt on top quite heavily. I didn't think that was suppose to happen since the design was for one color. I figured the bobbin thread would only show up on the reverse side.

Does anyone know what might have happened to cause this? I'm at a loss. With the second test I used 40wt in the top and bottom but used two different colors to see if it would occur again. It didn't. Everything appeared ok.

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

It's odd because I use 40 on top and 60 for the bobbin and don't have that problem. It seems you might have to adjust the tension to accommodate the bobbin thread. 

Comment

Snippet, I'm wondering too if it could be caused by needing a needle change? I really hope it's not the tension because that won't be easy to correct. It's one thing when the tension is consistently off but this appears to be happening periodically. I think I'm going to take a closer look at the bobbins too. Some of my bobbins have a circular hole at the top and others have a square. Weird too that this is occurring on designs I've used before and that have worked wonderfully :-(
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I have been having problems with my tension off and on too. The worst is on lettering. I have a babylock ellageo just before you start stitching you can go to settings and you can adjust the tension. My babylock dealer wanted me to try 14 size needles. I did changed my needle but it didn't help. I use Floriani thread. I might try Isacord thread.
        Hugs and Smiles :)
        This is what I am doing when I am not here--

www.etsy.com/shop/ckquilter

Comment

Carlie, change the needle for sure. That's much easier to fix than the tension. You are so right, I avoid messing with the tension at all costs.

Comment

I have a Babylock Ellageo Plus and love it. I have had a problem with the bobbin thread coming up from the bottom and showing on the top a couple of times. I find if I change the needle - I use a Schmetz titanium embroidery needle (I get them at Joann's with a 50 or 60% off coupon) - it will generally do the trick. I have tried several different threads - I like Isacord and Mettler metrosene. I sometimes will have a problem with Mettler polysheen - thread breaks and shreds easily. I have also found that I can use the small spools in my machine, but the cones work better if they are off on the side on an external spool holder. Hope you can figure it out soon.

Comment

I picked up some of the Schmetz embroidery needles yesterday so I'll give that a try today. At this point....keeping my fingers crossed :-) I'll let you all know if that does the trick.

Comment

Just an update on some of the adjustments I made for this project. I didn't change the tension but had read in the instructions for this 3D ornament that they suggested that 40wt be used in both bobbin and top tread. Since it was all one color I decided to use the same color in both bobbin and top thread. That way it didn't matter if the bobbin showed on top in some sections. That turned out fine with that change. Also I did change the needle just in case. The other thing the instructions called for was to use the water soluable (sp?) Sulky Ultra. I thought I ordered that and didn't look prior to doing the first part of the 3D ornament. Well it wasn't Ultra, apparently I either order the light weight or they sent me the wrong thing and I didn't realize it until too late. The stitching perforated the piece before it was complete. So I redid it using two layers of the light weight and kept my fingers crossed. It worked! Just barely :-/
                I'm not thrilled that I didn't resolve the problem of the bobbin thread taking over the top thread in sections but my adjustments did complete the several projects without marring the finished project. I did have time constraints on these several things. Now that they are done I hope to get back to seeing what was occurring with the bobbin thread. Maybe after Christmas :-)

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wonder if the digitizer knew the bobbin thread would show on the top. I don't digitize, so I'm probably talking nonsense.

Comment

Digitizer. Hummmmm, that's way above my IQ for now LOL

Comment

I notice my bobbin thread will show on top when the top thread is tight, or hung up going into the machine. I've since been using a thread stand set a little ways from the machine and haven't had the bobbin show on top since then. I hope this helps you.
                      sigpic

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                      Type: Public
                      Topics: 239
                      Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X