Machine Embroidery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooping t-shirt

I'm trying to hoop my first ever t-shirt. There has to be an easier way. I've struggled off and on this afternoon.

I need to know the best way to find the middle of the shirt. Then, how you get everything centered.

I just know it can't be too difficult. People do it every day. It is a 6" or so design on the front.

Thanks

I have a picture on how to hoop it. I have to use photobucket to post here so I'll just put it up top if that's okay.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

. I fold the shirt to find the center, then decide how far up it would be.This picture came from a friend who taught me how to do it. I bought the same clips though. Home Depot. I just don't want to take credit for the picture. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks. I think this shirt thing is a little tricky.

Comment

I think my bigger problem is actually getting it in the right position in the hoop

Comment

My hoops have raised lines on all sides. After folding the shirt and ironing to get a sharp crease, I line it up on the hoop lines. Hopefully someone that does this a lot will come along

I need to do one soon for a baby's first birthday.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

So you press it? Just up and down or across also?

Comment

Yes, I iron the lengthwise first, find the placement and iron the other direction. It was just my way. Here are some videos that might have better ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+a+tee+shirt
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

My daughter and I actually float our tshirts on top of the hoop instead of hooping them. We use basting spray and straight pins to attach it to the stabilizer. I iron a crease to line it up but my daughter is pretty good at eyeballing it and getting it in the right place! Sometimes when we tried hooping them, it would stretch the tshirt too much and would cause puckering.

Comment

I float mine too, like in the picture. Since the shirt was a kid size the clips keep the shirt from falling back in. I never did an adult shirt.
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I just watched Nancy (Sewing with Nancy PBS show) hoop a tshirt. She hooped the sticky stabilizer and then stitched the alignment markings from the embroidery design. Then she laid the hoop onto the small end of the ironing board. Then she 'dressed' the ironing board with the shirt. So the back half of the tshirt was under the ironing board and the tshirt front was on top of the board and the hoop. With the back out of the way, she then aligned the shirt onto the alignment markings on the hoop and pressed the shirt onto the sticky stabilizer. Then she created a 'nest' of all the extra material around the hoop and pulled it all off the ironing board.

I haven't done shirts yet, but I have done other things that need to be centered. I use a pin for the center of the design. Then I use my ruler and pin a horizontal and vertical spot out from the center pin. I hoop using those marks. But usually I float the fabric because I don't like the sticky stuff. So I fold the fabric in quarters ( horizontally and then vertically ) with that center pin in the corner. Lay the hoop onto your cutting mat and center it so the lines match the hoop's center marks. Bring your fabric over and place that center pin on the intersection of the lines that you (hopefully) can see through the stabilizer. If not, draw a line onto the stabilizer. Lay the fabric in a quadrant of the grid and carefully unfold. Don't stretch.

Comment

Machine Embroidery

About this Group

Just a group of machine embroiderer's sharing knowledge!
                      Type: Public
                      Topics: 239
                      Comments: 1250

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X