Hexagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions, lots of questions!

Hi! I'm Michele, and I'm new to EPP. While on vacation this summer, I broke down when I got intrigued by Sue Daley's products, and bought the paper pieces and template, glue pen, needles, and thread while on a personal "shop hop" with my sister. Yeah, I needed another thing to do! But now I had everything! I was ready to go! I cut out fabric using the template (very slick!) using Halloween fabrics. Then summer ended :-( and I came home to Ohio, went back to work, and nada. Nothing. The bag that I had it all in was just looking at me, mocking me. Last Monday I went to my favorite quilt shop in Charm, OH, to shop, and they were doing EPP. I came home and got started. After all, the pieces were cut out, all I had to do was glue the fabric to the paper edges and start sewing. Well, yesterday, while proctoring a test, I began to sew. Loving it! Now I have some questions.

1. Whose method do you use? I am aware of Sue Daley. Are there others? Are methods one and the same?
    2. How long do you cut your thread? What thread do you use? Do you need Thread Heaven?
    3. Do you work outer edge in, or inner edge out? I know what I think, but is there a "right" or a "wrong"?
    4. Where do you buy your products? i.e. papers, templates, etc.

I'll stop there (for now). Thanks for bearing with me!
    Michele
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

It seems this forum is having low or non activity, as the "veterans" must have finished their projects.
    I'm just starting a 1" hexi quilt myself, but the old way: I have drawn my hexis and copied them with my printer on regular paper. I cut with scissors from 2 1/2" strips and baste the fabric. I get 16-18 hexis from one WOF strip. I cut my thread about 15 " long, and my stitches are separated 1 mm ( 25 stitches for 1" hexi side). I use Gutermann cotton thread. It is supposed to be very scrappy, with left overs from other projects.

Comment

Wow! Look at you! Nice job! My fabrics are Halloween, and my blocks are 1 1/2". They seem kind of big, now that I'm doing it, but that's ok for a first time project. I'm not really sure what I'm making, just learning a technique. What are you making?
      I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Comment

I'm aiming for a quilt like this one:

I must do the math so as to know how many blocks it will require for a 56 x 80 quilt. It is the size of a piece of batting I want to use up. I haven't decided yet on what color to use as sashing/background fabric. I have white in my stash, and am expecting an order that includes solid tan fabric.

I started this project as I need to do some hand sewing while I nurse my sick and elderly MIL 2-3 days a week. I just CAN'T sit hands crossed as she is napping.

Comment

I am auditionning fabric for the background. Top left is Tan Yardage from Bella Solids. In the middle, an off-white sold as white at Ikea. Top right, true white sold at a fabric shop close to my in-laws.

Comment

This is my first time to check what is happening with Hexies! I hope you don't mind my voting on the background fabrics you are showing. I vote for the white. The one in the middle looks great! I normally go for the off white or tans but the white pops the colors!

Comment

I like the white! Nice job!

Comment

I also liked the white.
                bjsmith57

Comment

Hexagons

About this Group

For those of us who have been bitten by the hexagon bug!
                No deadlines, no rules, just hexagon encouragement! And maybe a scrap swap or two.
                Type: Public
                Topics: 94
                Comments: 448

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X