Grand Illusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Up!

WOW! I thought for sure I'd have no problem keeping up each week. I'm still on Step One!!! I wonder why she starts a mystery quilt so close to the holidays? Seems like after the holidays would be a better time when we are less busy. Maybe it has something to do with her travel schedule. I've put all the steps on my desktop so I can find them quickly. I think the reason it's slow-going for me is due to holiday preparations and I get bored doing the same thing 200 times. hahaha
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The reason why Bonnie Hunter chose this time of the year is, as you said, because of her travel schedules. But there are also many people that have mentioned it is healing for them in a period they are feeling blue, missing loved ones, being lonely. This projects keeps them busy and motivated.
    In my case, it is perfect timing, as work is low and my mood too.

Comment

perfect timing for me - the rest of the year i am busy with other things like swaps and baby quilts and gardening.

a bonnie hunter mystery is always going to be made of several thousand cuts and small no bigger than 3x3 pieces! I have found that keeping up with the clues as they are posted is the only chance the quilt has of completion I printed Orange Crush several mysteries ago and it still - although i love love love the pattern - is in the i'll get to it someday pile ...... Orca Bay never made it past the 2nd clue because i set it aside for something else too :/ However Easy Street and Lazy Sunday are wonderfully made because i "kept up" on each clue during the week it was posted and was ready to assemble when the reveal was made soooooo as i post my progress just know this is what works best for me and is how i enjoy the mystery bonnie has created.

Is it friday yet???
      Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
      hugs, Suzi
      http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
      it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I am not staying current either! But I was out of town and didn't start until a week later than Clue 1 was published. I think Bonnie works on designing the quilt slowly over several months and probably doesn't realize how involved it is! All said, I have come to the conclusion I am a slow cutter, and slow sewist! Back to my Broken Dishes, 20 more to go today.
        See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

I am not in any kind of hurry with this quilt. I work on it when I feel like it, and still have other things I am working on.

Bonnie posted recently she does the Mystery this time of year for those that are lonely and sad during the holidays. Gives them something to focus on, and a great community with others working on the same thing.

I have clue 1 done, but still only have a few of clue 2 finished. I haven't even started clue 3.

I had to slow myself down, and NOT let myself feel pressured to work on this.

I want to enjoy it when I have the time to do it.
          Cathryn

Comment

I have most of Clue 1 done just need to sew them all. Clue 2 is half way cut and clue 3 has been printed and stapled. I did read some of it, but need to get my shopping done. Can't wait to get working on it again. )

Comment

"Trying" to keep current but, it seems that I will always be in last place. This is my first Bonnie mystery and I want to take my time.

Comment

I have been printing the clues, reading the tips, following troubles and in general absorbing it all. I haven't cut a single thing yet. I have been bitten by the Grinch-bug this year and I can't seem to pull my behind out of funkville (that's way south of Funky Town BTW :lol ) I'll get to starting soon I hope I just have to process the garbage in my head and get the lead out of my rear. Maybe I should put up my village and my tree, that might help. . . I haven't even gotten to that past of the holidays yet.
                ~Kim
                @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,--

Remember to ALWAYS smile, it will do one of 3 things
                1. Bring a smile to someone else's face
                2. Make them wonder what you are up to :icon_razz:
                or ....
                3. Scare them :icon_woot:

Comment

I'm with you Cat n bull and rebeccas-sewing - I have finished clue one, only about 1/3 of the way through clue 2, and I did one of clue 3 - too many pieces for me to keep current this time of year. I have to remind myself, this is not a race! I'm not sure if I will do another one - too many small pieces for me because I'm not a "precision" stitcher yet! I do love her patterns though! LOL

Comment

K2Harman {{hugs}}

Hope you get our of your funk!
                    Cathryn

Comment

K2Harman cheer up and hugs to you.

Comment

Haven't been able to keep up due to several reasons. Have some of clue 1 some of clue 2 none of clue 3 completed and don't see any of clue 4 getting done due to Christmas and spending time with the grandkids. Will be heading south for part of the winter and plan on working on all the clues then.

Comment

Planned on doing half the units and then determining how big to make it once the reveal is out. I have the units for clue #1 done - did them that first week. Then came clue #2 and I so far have not found the right method for me - part of it is that I was rushing it and I just needed to step back and enjoy the process. I am still very excited each week to see the clues revealed.

Once all of the Christmas presents are finished, I can go back to this. 2 Christmas present quilts got bound in the last 2 nights and have the kids embroidered hooded bath towels on the embroidery machine as I type. Will finish those up tomorrow after work and get them mailed off on Saturday. Then on to the hooded towels and pillow cases for the 3 kids in town. Then back to the mystery.
                          Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

have downloaded all the clues but that is far as I have gotten due to many reasons but am toting around with the hope of starting soon as Christmas is over. Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

complete and caught up on all clues
                              BUT i think now i want a prettier yellow so might backtrack and changeout all of those squares call me crazy!!!
                              Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                              hugs, Suzi
                              http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                              it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Grand Illusion

About this Group

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt
                              Begins Friday, Nov 28 6-8 weeks
                              New Clue every Friday
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 13